Connect with us

Metro News

FG Open To Talks With MTN After Confirmation Of N50b Down Payment, Withdrawal Of Suit Against NCC – Minister

Published

on

NCC-MTNThe Federal Government will open talks with MTN Nigeria over the N780 billion fine, imposed on the telecommunications company after confirming receipt of the N50 billion part payment made by the firm.
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) had last October slammed MTN Nigeria with a N1.04 trillion fine, which was later reduced to N780 billion, for failing to disconnect 51. Million Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) cards from its network.
Dissatisfied with the fine reduction, MTN dragged the Nigerian Government before a Federal High Court in Lagos, seeking to stop the payment of the fine.
However, the telecommunications company last month indicated willingness to settle out-of-court.

A statement on Wednesday issued by MTN Nigeria and disclosing the part payment of the sum of N50bn to the federal government described the move “as a gesture of good faith and commitment to continued efforts towards an amicable resolution”.
Reacting to the development yesterday, the government confirmed that the firm has withdrawn the suit it filed before a Lagos High Court challenging the NCC’s action.
With the “down payment”, government said the coast is now clear for it to listen to further talks on the matter.
Minister of Communications Technology, Barr. Adebayo Shittu, who confirmed the payment, said the development was in line with what the government asked the firm to do.
A statement by the minister’s Senior Assistant (Media) Victor Oluwadare, explained that the receipt of the N50billion payment will allow the Federal Government to entertain further negotiation on the fine with MTN.
“It is now confirmed that MTN has made a down payment of N50 billion and withdrawn the case against NCC pending negotiation on the settlement (of the outstanding N730billion)”.

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending