Connect with us

Politics

Anyone Saying Chibok Girls Will Return Is Telling Lies, Says Obasanjo ■Takes Swipe At Jonathan, PDP

Published

on

OBJ-CHIBOK-GIRLSFormer President Olusegun Obasanjo has described as lies, any assurances by the Federal Government that it would rescue the abducted Chibok girls alive.

Obasanjo expressed this view at an event organized by the Staff Club of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, on Friday.

The Chibok girls were abducted by Boko Haram insurgents in their hostel at Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State on April 14, 2014. It is believed that at least 219 of the school girls are still in captivity.

Speaking at the event tagged “An Evening with Obasanjo”, which was held at the open arena of the staff club, the former president blamed former President Goodluck Jonathan for trivializing the distress call to rescue the girls on the day they were captured.

“The former president heard about the kidnap 8am in the morning of the abduction but failed to act until 72 hours later and by then it was too late”, Mr. Obasanjo stated.

“Anyone saying they (Chibok girls) will return is telling lies, maybe some of them will return to tell their story”.

According to him, the failure of the Peoples Democratic Party in the last presidential election was necessary for Nigeria to be saved.

“We tried, but with Jonathan, it was best that PDP should fail to save Nigeria”, Mr. Obasanjo said.

He pointed out that one of the low points of the Jonathan administration was his treatment of issues of importance as politics, particularly that of Boko Haram.

On power generation, Mr. Obasanjo, whose administration sunk about $16 billion in the sector, said there had been no meaningful improvements since he left office nearly nine years ago.

“Power is still the same way I left it in 2007, railway is same way and other sectors, it was best that PDP stopped ruling us”, he said.

“It was a thing of joy to me that the earlier declaration of 50 years governance for PDP did not come to pass”.

Mr Obasanjo, who was in company with the Vice-chancellor of the University, Professor Fadipe and other notable personalities, also justified some of the decisions he took on education, saying he would take the same decisions if he could do it all over again.

“I have no regrets regarding the decisions I took in terms of education including removing free food in our institutions. We had 53 institutions when I came in 1999 but as at the time I left we had 150 institutions”, Mr Obasanjo explained.

“I prefer to have all persons in schools than to have some few persons simply enjoying free food”.

Mr. Obasanjo, who was brought out from prison to contest for president in 1999, claimed he never had a godfather, admonishing young politicians to shun godfatherism and be ready to face hard times in politics.

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. mandy

    February 6, 2016 at 2:18 pm

    Before you point out the flaws in others, examine yourself first. Please what was the benefit of OBJ’s administration? What did he do for Nigerians? The only thing Nigerians say is GSM, which would have gotten to us any way. Was there any real benefit? Please he should keep quiet and let us hear word!

  2. born champion

    February 6, 2016 at 4:23 pm

    Kettle calling pot black……. mtsheeeeeew. Abeg clear comot for road. OBJ baba ode

  3. muyiwa

    February 6, 2016 at 5:55 pm

    a joker,was his administration better?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari

Published

on

Governor Ganduje
Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari

Governor Ganduje

Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State has reinstated his Special Adviser on Social Media, Tanko Yakasai.

According to reports, the Kano State Governor who had earlier suspended his media aide for condemning President Muhammadu Buhari over #EndSARS protests reinstated the aide without many details.

Also Read: Wike Signs Executive Order Proscribing IPOB, Lifts Curfew

Yakasai on his Twitter account had accused Buhari of being insensitive to the plights of Nigerians during the #EndSARS protests across the nation.

The development saw Governor Ganduje suspend his aide who was commended by Nigerians for the courage.

Ganduje, however, has ordered the reinstatement of his aide two weeks after his suspension.

Continue Reading

Politics

Fayemi Presents Over N109 billion As Budget Estimate For 2021

Published

on

Fayemi Orders Resumption Of All Workers In Ekiti
Fayemi Presents Over N109 billion As Budget Estimate For 2021

Governor Fayemi

Governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi has presented the proposed budget for the 2021 fiscal year in the State.

The Governor on Monday presented a budget estimate of over N109 billion for the 2021 fiscal year.

Governor Fayemi, while presenting the budget at the State House of Assembly complex yesterday in Ado-Ekiti described the 2021 budget as “Budget of Recovery and Economic Restoration.”

Also Read: #EndSARS Protests Politically Motivated – Kogi Governor

The budget has a recurrent expenditure of N57, 997,898,982.62k while the capital expenditure has N51, 668,386,739.99k.

Fayemi, said the budget proposal presented contains the policy thrust, programmes, and vision of his administration for 2021, saying efforts shall be made to source the needed resources to fund the budget.

Continue Reading

Politics

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP

Published

on

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP

Muhammadu Buhari

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has blasted President Muhammadu Buhari over his nationwide broadcast over the ongoing #EndSARS protest rocking the country.

Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.

He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Also Read: President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech – Full text

Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.

The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.

Continue Reading

Trending