Connect with us

Politics

2016 Budget Padding: Buhari Must Fish Out And Prosecute Those Behind This “National Embarrassment” – Fayose

Published

on

240315F-Ayodele-FayoseGovernor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose has described the controversial 2016 Budget of the Federal Government as a confirmation that the All Progressives Congress (APC) and President Muhammadu Buhari were never prepared for governance.
“If a government cannot prepare a common budget, it should just be concluded that those in the government never prepared for governance and such a government may not be able to achieve anything”, Mr. Fayose said.
The governor described the alleged padding of the budget with strange figures, which are being denied by Ministers during their budget defence at the National Assembly, as a clear intention to steal, adding that; “What those who prepared the budget did was to steal in advance. It is clear advance fraud and be it civil servants, political appointees or consultants, those responsible for this national embarrassment must be fished out and prosecuted”.
According to a statement issued on Tuesday by his Special Assistant on Pubic Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, the governor said, “With almost everyone disowning provisions in the budget, the latest being the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the most honourable thing to do is for President Buhari to withdraw the budget formally and put an end to this national shame that the budget has become”.
The governor, who commended the National Assembly for suspending the budget passage, said he was highly embarrassed when he saw the BBC Africa’s tweet that our Minister of Heath said “rats invaded Nigeria Budget documents and smuggled foreign items”.
The statement read; “On Wednesday, Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed openly disowned the N398 million being part of the budget estimates by his ministry meant for the purchase of computers. The Minister who was reacting to questions on the N230 million and N168 million voted for the purchase of computers for the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) and the Film and Video Censors Board, said he was not aware.
“To worsen the situation, an official of the ministry of information said that only N5 million was proposed for the item in the original budget of the Film and Video Censors Board. How then did N5 million grew to N398 million?
“Before the Wednesday denial by Lai Mohammed, the Health Minister, Isaac Adewole, had said that the proposal drawn up by the ministry and submitted to the budget office had been doctored and that ‘foreign’ appropriations, different from what was submitted, had been sneaked in as the height of national embarrassment.
“Also, we are now being told that the sum of N10 billion which was questionably smuggled into the budget of the Ministry of Education for an allegedly questionable subhead was typographical error, and one wonders how N10 billion could have been included in a national budget through typo error.
“Denials, typo errors, existence of Budget Mafia in the Presidency, N3.87 billion allocated for capital projects at the State House Clinic meant for the President, Vice President and their families alone and error in the date on the letter with which the President presented the corrected version of the budget, among other shocking discoveries, the reality of an unprepared people in government is no doubt staring Nigerians in the face.
“In saner climes, the President would have openly admitted to the people that he made mistakes, apologise and withdraw the budget.
“It is however not too late for this honourable path to be followed by the President. He should realise that he is human and capable of committing errors. He should therefore admit that his first budget was full of errors, withdraw the budget formally from the National Assembly and prepare another budget.
“Most importantly, Nigerians must know those who caused this national embarrassment. They must be fished out and prosecuted”.

Politics

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP

Published

on

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP

Muhammadu Buhari

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has blasted President Muhammadu Buhari over his nationwide broadcast over the ongoing #EndSARS protest rocking the country.

Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.

He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Also Read: President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech – Full text

Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.

The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria

Published

on

PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria

PDP

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the killing of peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate, Lagos.

This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.

Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.

Also Read: Shehu Sani Condemns Shooting Of #EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate

“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.

“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.

“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Published

on

Gov Yahaya Bello
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Governor Bello

The Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello has declared his intention to lead the #EndSARS protest against police brutality ongoing nationwide.

He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.

Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.

Also Read: Fayemi Names Members Of Judicial Panel On Human Rights Violations By Police

He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.

The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.

He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.

https://twitter.com/jeffreyetuss/status/1318273749565739011?s=19

Continue Reading

Trending