Plans are in full gear by the Ogun State government to commemorate 40 years of the creation of the state. Among things slated for the anniversary celebration is the inauguration of 40 developmental projects by President Muhammadu Buhari. Well, Information Nigeria in this piece has put together 10 historic facts you need to know about the state…
– The Southwestern state was created in 1976 by the military administration of General Murtala Muhammed and General Olusegun Obasanjo in 1976 and has Abeokuta as its capital.
– It borders Lagos State to the south, Oyo and Osun states to the north, Ondo State to the east and the Republic of Benin to the west.
– It has 20 Local government areas and has important cities and towns such as Abeokuta, Ijebu-Ode, Sagamu, Ikenne Remo, Ilaro, Ijebu-Igbo, Aiyetoro etc
– Ogun has one Federal University: the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta; one state government college of education, Tai Solarin College of Education (TASCE), (formerly known as Ogun State College of Education, Ijagun, Ijebu-Ode, one Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, one state government polytechnic, Moshood Abiola Polythechnic (MAPOLY), formerly known as Ogun State Polythechnic, Ojere, Abeokuta, and two state government universities: Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye (formerly known as Ogun State University), and the Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED) Ijebu Ode.
– Notable people like Obafemi Awolowo, MKO Abiola, Mike Adenuga, Olusegun Obasanjo, Wole Soyinka, Fela Kuti, Tunde Bakare and so on hails from the state.
– Senator Ibikunle Amosun is the governor of the state.
– The Ijebus in the state were the first Yoruba speaking people to have contact with the Europeans in the early 14th century. They were the first Yorubas to have invented money made from cowry shells called ‘Owo Eyo’, which was accepted throughout the kingdom of Yorubaland but was later replaced by legal tender coins made from silver materials called ‘Pandora’ when the Europeans came.
– Birikisu Sungbo shrine is a tourist centre in the state located at Oke-|Eri village, where Muslims from all over the world converge for prayers. Birikisu in her life time was known to be a devoted Muslim who possessed supernatural powers. It is claimed that she once dug a pit around the village with a needle. Even in her grave, she is believed to still maintain her powers as no weed has ever grown on her burial ground and the place where she was washed before she was buried up till now.
– Other tourist places include Olumo Rock in Abeokuta, Yemoji Natural Swimming Pool at Ijebu-Ode, Oyan Dam in Abeokuta North, Iwopin Boat Regatta and Ebute-Oni in Ogun Waterside.
– The Ogun state people are known for making batik known as ‘Adire’.
Happy 40th anniversary to Ogun state people!!!