The Federal Government on Monday welcomed the global endorsement of its anti-corruption campaign, describing it as an incentive to continue with the fight, which it said must be won for the nation to achieve sustainable growth and development.
The FG said the acknowledgement of the efforts of President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration by the US Secretary of State, Mr. John Kerry, at the World Economic Forum (WEF) Annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland, last week, was commendable.
“The Federal Government is delighted that the anti-corruption war being led by President Muhammadu Buhari has been acknowledged and applauded on a global stage.
“It is particularly gratifying that in that speech, Mr. Kerry made the link between corruption and terrorism. We agree that corruption is indeed a radicalizer because it destroys faith in legitimate authority. Let me remind you, gentlemen, that radicalization is a key causative factor of terrorism”, the Minister for Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said during a meeting with newsmen in Lagos.
The minister announced that he would flag off a series of town hall meetings across the country to take the sensitization campaign, which he launched in Abuja last Monday, directly to Nigerians, in addition to using the National Orientation Agency (NOA) and the relevant units of the ministry to reach every part of the country.
According to Mr. Mohammed, government was aware that when one fights corruption, corruption also fights back.
“We know that those who stole us dry are powerful. They have newspapers, radio and television stations and an army of supporters to continuously deride the government’s war against corruption. But we are undaunted and will not relent until corruption is also decimated”, he said.
The Minister blamed the endemic poverty in the country on the scourge of corruption, pointing out that whereas Nigeria’s national budget has increased from just over 900 billion Naira in 1999 to over 6 trillion Naira in 2016, poverty has also increased almost by the same proportion.
“The reason is not far-fetched: appropriated funds have mostly ended up in the pockets of a few looters”, he said.
He minister continued: “When the money meant to construct roads are looted, the end result is that the roads are not built and the people suffer and even die in avoidable road accidents. When the money meant to provide electricity is looted, we all are perpetually sentenced to darkness. When the money meant for healthcare is pocketed by a few, we are unable to reduce maternal and infant mortality. These are the costs of corruption”.
Mr. Mohammed also made a comparative analysis of the number of beneficiaries of the $2.1 billion arms deal fraud popularly called ‘Dasukigate’ and the amount they collected from the office of the National Security Adviser in 2015 on one hand, and the list of projects and amount of funds deployed across the nation in the Zonal Intervention project of 2015 appropriation act.
“Whereas the sum of N51.829 bn was appropriated for 1,278 projects in the Zonal Intervention Projects for 2015, a total of 21 individuals and companies benefited from the fraud to the tune of N54.659 bn as we know so far. The implication is that the amount received by 21 individuals and companies is more than the 2015 Zonal Intervention Project budget by N2.829 bn”.
“Furthermore, the value of what beneficiaries of Dasukigate contributed to development is zero, compared to how the lives of Nigerians would have been transformed, poverty reduced and livelihoods improved by the projects which – as we have shown – would have cost N2.829 bn less than the Dasukigate fraud”, the minister said.
He said contrary to speculation in some quarters that the government was dwelling too much on the war against corruption to the detriment of other areas of governance, the time spent on eradicating the menace cannot be too much.
“The situation is very grim indeed, as far as corruption is concerned. That is why the Federal Government is embarking on this sensitization campaign. Our approach – which is to count the cost of corruption – is not to vilify anyone but to use facts and figures to give Nigerians a sense of what corruption has done to their lives”, the minister said.
Saraki Leads PDP’s Nati youonal Reconciliation Panel
Former Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki has been appointed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as the chairman of its National Reconciliation Committee.
The committee made up of five other members is expected to work to resolve grievances and disagreements among party members across the country.
This development was confirmed in a tweet late on Monday night by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan.
— Kola Ologbondiyan (@officialKolaO) November 23, 2020
Other members of the committee are former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Pius Ayim; former Governors Liyel Imoke (Cross River), Ibrahim Dankwambo (Gombe), and Ibrahim Shema (Katsina); as well as former House Minority Leader, Mulikat Akande.
Fashola: If We Keep Our Promises, APC Will Retain Power In 2023
Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola has expressed optimism that Nigerians will still vote the All Progressives Congress (APC) back to power in 2023.
Fashola, however, added that the only thing that can make Nigerians not to vote for the APC is if the party fails to fulfill its campaign promises to them.
The Minister made this remark while speaking with journalists on Monday in Abuja.
He noted that even if the promises are not 100% fulfilled but the citizens see signs of commitment and progress, other parties should forget about displacing APC in 2023.
The former Lagos State Governor added that opposition parties are not doing better than the APC, hence should not expect Nigerians to vote for them come 2023.
He said: “Some governors have joined us, from where we think we could not get voters before. To retain power in 2023, certainly if we keep our promises, people will vote for us. It is that simple, that is politics,” the former Lagos governor said.
“If you do what you say you will do, even if you don’t do hundred percent and they see that you are making progress, they will even want you to finish what you started.”
Akeredolu Sacks Ondo Attorney-General, Olawoye
Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has sacked the state Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Kola Olawoye.
This was made known in a statement on Monday by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr. Segun Ajiboye.
Akeredolu immediately appointed a human rights lawyer, Mr. Charles Titiloye, as the new Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice.
According to the statement, the Ondo State governor would forward Titiloye’s name to the State House of Assembly for confirmation.
Akeredolu also expressed his appreciation to the sacked commissioner for services rendered to the state.
- Entertainment21 hours ago
Davido Celebrates Late Mom On Her Posthumous Birthday
- Entertainment21 hours ago
“Your Obsession With 2Face Will Be Your Death” – 2Face’s Brother Slams Blackface
- Entertainment22 hours ago
Blackface Drags Wizkid, Burna Boy For Stealing His Song
- National News20 hours ago
2020 Finance Bill Exempts Minimum Wage Earners From Tax: Buhari
- Entertainment5 hours ago
‘You Are A Disgrace’ – Actress Adesua Etomi Knocks Lauretta Onochie Over Her Tweet
- Entertainment23 hours ago
‘Nobody Is Fighting For Your Throne Because You’re The Queen’ – James brown Assures Bobrisky
- News Feed19 hours ago
“Marriage requirement is very high in Igboland” – Lady says her brother spent less than N50K on traditional marriage items to marry his wife from Benue
- National News21 hours ago
Court Remands Nigerian Senator, Ali Ndume, In Prison