Connect with us

News Feed

Fire Razes Don Bosco Secondary School Hostel In Anambra [Photo]

Published

on

No fewer than 80 students have been displaced from their boarding house accommodation at the Don Bosco Secondary School and Youth Centre, Obolo Obosi, near Onitsha following a fire incident.

1

The Rector of the school, Charlse Uzoeto, who conducted journalists around the charred remains of the hostel on Sunday, said the fire broke out while the students and teachers were in school.

Mr. Uzoeto said the students had been sent back to their parents following an agreement between the management of the school and parents as there was no place for them to stay.

The Rector said the property of the students could have been saved, but the fire service was unable to reach the school in good time due to the bad access road.

“It was a serious fire incident. Nobody can say exactly what happened or how it happened, but everyone was in school.

“We can only speculate about the real cause, but we thank God that no life was lost.

“About 80 students are housed in the two wings of the hostel; we cannot quantify the extent of damage as virtually everything the students had in the hostel was lost,” he said.

According to him, the bedding, the entire roof of the building and even the structure of the building were destroyed by the fire.

“The fire services would have reached here much earlier, but on their way, they discovered that they could not access the place because of bad road leading to this place.

“After meandering through the markets with all the difficulties, before they came here, we were already counting our losses.

“I think if the roads were good, they would have reached here much earlier.

“They made efforts as human beings but they could not jump, they could not fly, and that reduced the chances of rescue,” he said.

Mr. Uzoeto called on government, corporate organisations and kind individuals to come to the aid of the school to enable it to commence its normal academic activities.

“The assistance we need is obvious, it is a private mission school built with the best intention, but the resources are not there like before.

“We need help from government, organisations and individuals to recover from this colossal loss,” he said.

Don Bosco Secondary School, Obosi is an educational institute, managed by the Salesian Priests of the Catholic Church, and is one of the three in Nigeria.

Source: Premium Times

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

#EndSARS protesters break into Lagos International Airport (Videos)

Published

on

#EndSARS protesters break into Lagos International Airport (Videos)

Young Nigerians protesting against SARS brutality, under the #EndSARS movement, stormed the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos state.

The protesters in their hundreds are preventing movement in and out of the busiest airport in the country.

Nationwide protests have been going on over the past 11 days, demanding an end to police brutality and extrajudicial killings, but since it began, this is the first time protesters would disrupt activities inside an airport.

Continue Reading

News Feed

#EndSARS Protesters take over apple junction in Festac, Lagos

Published

on

#EndSARS Protesters take over apple junction in Festac, Lagos

Some Nigerians protesting against police brutality have taken over apple junction in Festac area of Lagos state causing serious gridlock.

The protesters with different banners are calling for end to police brutality. They blocked roads while asking to be heard by the government.

Watch video below:

Continue Reading

News Feed

Yul Edochie calls for Buhari’s resignation

Published

on

Yul Edochie calls for Buhari's resignation

Popular actor turned politician, Yul Edochie, who had signified interest to contest the presidency in the forthcoming elections in 2019 has called for the resignation of President Buhari.

He made the call via his Twitter handle on Monday afternoon, October 19.

According to Yul, President Buhari was very vocal during the Goodluck Jonathan administration and called for the resignation of the former President on the basis of poor performance.

He opined that President Buhari has performed worse than Jonathan, therefore he should resign from office.

”President Buhari was very vocal during the previous Govt. He called for Goodluck’s resignation on the basis of poor performance. Today Buhari’s performance is worse than that of Jonathan. We put our hopes in him & he failed us. I call for Buhari’s resignation. #ENDBADGOVERNANCE” he tweeted.

Continue Reading

Trending