Come January 14, members of the #BringBackOurGirls movement will be marching to the State House, Abuja, to re-engage with President Muhammadu Buhari, the group has said in a statement.
The families of the kidnapped Chibok girls, the Chibok community, and sympathisers of the girls who were abducted from Government Secondary School, Chibok, in April 2014, are expected to be part of the march.
The group said it noted with “great dismay” that the issue of rescue of the kidnapped girls and other citizens held in captivity by Boko Haram was not mentioned in the president’s New Year message to the nation.
“The implication of such a deliberate omission is not lost on us”, the group said in a statement signed by its coordinators – Aisha Yesufu, Oby Ezekwesili, and Hadiza Bala Usman.
“We shall meet at Unity Fountain as from 8.30 a.m. that day to proceed on the march. We have already dispatched a letter to the president, duly acknowledged by State House officials”.
It would be exactly 21 months on January 14 since armed Boko Haram insurgents stormed the girls’ school hostel in Chibok Borno State, to abduct over 200 girls.
Despite repeated assurances by the government that it would rescue the girls, their whereabouts remain unknown with President Buhari during his maiden media chat last week, saying he was yet to get a “credible intelligence” on the girls’ location.
The #BringBackOurGirls movement noted that the president, during his inaugural speech on May 29 last year, declared that his government would not claim to have defeated Boko Haram until the Chibok girls and other hostages have been rescued.
“It was utterly shocking when the president declared in a BBC interview on 24 December that the terrorists had been ‘technically defeated’ without referencing the rescue of our Chibok girls whom he had set as the benchmark for measuring such success.
“We are extremely disappointed that seven months after his strong promise at inauguration and six months after his pledge to the parents, Chibok community and our Movement that he would rescue the 219 daughters of Nigeria, his statement was lacking in urgency and assurance of strategy for result.
“Further, that the President gave the impression of a reactive approach of ‘waiting for credible Boko Haram leadership’ to tell us whether our girls are alive or not, falls disappointingly short of the proactive feedback we expected.
“Our Movement therefore refuses to accept that lack of ‘credible intelligence on our girls’ whereabouts” as a tenable reason for the evident lack of progress in rescuing our ChibokGirls”.
The #BringBackOurgirls group, therefore, urged the federal government to make public the General Sabo fact-finding committee report on the abduction of the Chibok girls.
Former President Goodluck Jonathan had in May 2014 named General Ibrahim Sabo (retd.) Chairperson of the Presidential Fact Finding Committee on the abducted Chibok girls.
The committee was able to establish that a total of 276 girls were abducted by members of the Boko Haram Sect, but 57 of the girls escaped while 219 were still unaccounted for.
“The federal government should investigate all statements preciously made by state actors and/or high-ranking military officers that ‘we know where the Chibok girls are’, with the view to getting at the bottom of the matter on our girls’ whereabouts.
“The federal government should immediately set up a search and rescue team to find our Chibok girls”, the group said.
“KADA (the Chibok community) strongly demands that President Muhammadu Buhari gives the rescue of our abducted Chibok girls the priority attention it deserves; as Boko Haram cannot be said to have been defeated – technically or otherwise – without the safe return of our abducted daughters”.
Zamfara Governor Commiserates With Victims Of Bandit Attack
Governor of Zamfara State, Bello Matawalle has commiserated with families of victims of the attack on citizens of Gidan Goga community by armed bandits.
The Governor assured that what is happening in terms of banditry attacks is not a security lapse but a momentary hiccup that will not be allowed to last.
He said the attack further exposed the desperation of the bandits who are experiencing heavy pressure from the offensive launched by security operatives in recent times.
“I want to assure our law obedient citizens of Zamfara State that the experience we are undergoing will not last. The bandits are experiencing our sustained pressure which they have reacted through cowardly and desperate attacks on innocent citizens,” Matawalle observed.
First celebrity Limited Edition Smartphone in Sub Sahara Africa: Davido Special Edition of Infinix NOTE 8
Over the last few weeks, Infinix has floated its candy before the eyes of tech enthusiast intensifying their craving for the soon to be released device. Through several social media posts, Infinix has hinted on the imminent release of the NOTE 8 and we all can’t wait for the device to hit the shelves.
Although the proposed date for the launch in its initial teaser videos and banners have passed without
any launch, we have reasons to believe that the launch will take place sometimes this month.
However, here’s a more interesting news. Infinix is set to be the first smart phone company in sub Sahara Africa to launch a limited edition device with a celebrity. A special edition of the NOTE 8 will be released alongside the primal version of the NOTE 8 and the NOTE 8i. The special edition is signed by Infinix’s brand ambassador David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido.
The available stock for the special Davido-signed edition is limited. However, interested shoppers can
get one for themselves at exclusive SLOT outlets nationwide and on their website Here. Exciting free
gifts are also available if you’re among the lucky few to buy this device while stocks last.
The Infinix NOTE 8 is targeted at the mid-to-high-end market segment and it comes with several
interesting features. The device on-boards a super-fast processor – the MediaTek Helio G80
processor, which supports ultra-fast gaming speed, stable graphics in-game, easy multi-tasking as
well as an all-round optimal performance.
The device also sports six cameras in total. It comes with a dual selfie camera which is cut out from its
super-wide 6.95inches screen. On the back, the NOTE 8 crams a 64MP super night shot camera for
amazing night shot photographs and other photography needs.
Many of Infinix loyalists and smartphone enthusiasts are already clearing their carts and lining up in
preparation for the launch of the Infinix NOTE 8. Now that there’s a special Davido edition in sight, the
queue might just be doubling up.
To stay ahead of interested shoppers and ensure that you’re one of the first to get your hands on this
special edition of the NOTE 8, follow Infinix on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at @Infinixnigeria.
The potential for iGaming in Nigeria uncovered
There is a growing positivity surrounding the Nigerian iGaming industry. As the nation breathes a collective sigh of relief following the announcement of the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA), it’s hoped that many burgeoning industries such as the world of iGaming can be allowed to flourish and bring much-needed tax revenues to the country.
Many analysts within the iGaming industry believe Nigeria has the potential to become Africa’s iGaming hub. Its domestic market is already forecast to be worth $2 billion, due largely to sports betting and the fascination with Nigerian soccer stars overseas like Odion Ighalo at Manchester United. Meanwhile, the domestic penetration of smartphones is also recognised, with some 83% of the population now owning a mobile device.
Nigeria was also a major focal point during this year’s SBC Digital Summit Africa, which was understandably conducted virtually earlier this month. Ahead of the summit, experts enrolled in the event were asked to vote on which African country offered the best foundations for iGaming operators to thrive. Nigeria outperformed every other nation, with 31% of all votes labelling Nigeria as the country with the highest potential to make a real
success of its domestic iGaming sector.
Even South Africa, which has a well-established domestic iGaming market, ranked second with just 28% of the vote. Prospective Nigerian iGaming operators should certainly take a leaf out of the book of South African iGaming brands, many of which have cultivated a strong customer base through the use of incentives and sign-up bonuses. The vast majority of offers available at platforms like Casinos.co.za, direct gamers to the safest and most reputable
One of the main reasons that industry experts believe in Nigeria’s iGaming potential is that it already boasts an engaged target demographic. Many of its young adults are already betting on sports like soccer and boxing, and there is a feeling that introducing them to casino gaming verticals would not be too difficult a stretch. Marry that with a growing number of smartphone users, which is predicted to reach over 140 million people by 2025, and you can
see the potential for iGaming apps and web applications to provide immersive, secure gaming
on the go.
Presently, the country has three separate bodies responsible for licensing online betting activities – the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC), the Special Control Unit against Money Laundering (SCUML) and the National Office for Technology Acquisition and Promotion (NOTAP). At the time of writing, online betting at a domestic Nigerian site is strictly prohibited by law. Loopholes regarding offshore operators make it possible for
Nigerians to play elsewhere, but it seems somewhat short-sighted for the Nigerian government to steer clear of creating its own regulated, revenue-making iGaming industry.
In a nation of substantial population, supporters of developing a domestic iGaming industry in Nigeria believe that the most would be a positive step, creating new career opportunities for everyday people. This could be in customer support, game development or any other facet of an iGaming operator. All the while, generating tax revenues for the Nigerian government and helping to breathe new life into the domestic economy.
There is a general feeling that Nigeria’s gaming industries tend to follow the same path as South Africa’s. The SBC Digital Summit Africa revealed that there has been a “seismic shift” from sports betting markets to casino games in the last eight months, including live dealer tables, that’s according to Sean Coleman, CEO of the South Africa Bookmakers Association.
Live dealer games seemingly “appeal to millennials” across South Africa. Dean Finder, CEO of Evolution Services SA believes the fact that live dealer games are “not gender biased” is an opportunity to reach out to female players, which are an often “unserved market” across Africa.
For these trends to follow suit in Nigeria, operators will need to build further trust in their
games and regulatory measures to curry favour with the country’s legislature.
- National News17 hours ago
Lagos Govt Relaxes Curfew From 10pm To 6am
- Entertainment19 hours ago
Nse Ikpe-Etim Reacts To Desmond Elliot’s Call For Social Media Regulation
- News Feed18 hours ago
#EndSARS: People take time out to curse me in their prayers– Aisha Yesufu Reveals
- News Feed18 hours ago
Fans ‘kabash’, pray for Erica as she complains of Malaria, Typhoid
- National News24 hours ago
BREAKING: Lagos Panel Of Enquiry Visits Lekki Toll Gate
- News Feed10 hours ago
Burna Boy, Stefflon Don Unfollow Each Other On Instagram
- National News21 hours ago
Wike Ordered Police, Army To Kill IPOB Members, Nnamdi Kanu Alleges
- News Feed10 hours ago
Desmond Elliot calling us children is annoying: DJ Switch