U S President Barack Obama has appointed a Nigerian, Adewale ‘Wally’ Adeyemo as his deputy national security adviser for international economic affairs. Adeyemo had served in top roles at the Treasury Department and would now succeed Caroline Atkinson as Obama’s deputy NSA. Adeyemo is flying the Nigerian flag high in the international community, hence the reason to celebrate him and his achievement. In lieu of this, INFORMATION NIGERIA b has put together 5 important facts about him…
– Adeyemo has worked in Obama’s administration since 2009.
– He was part of the team that helped coordinate the US response to global recession which started in 2008.
– He helped establish the US Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
– He has been the point person on a range of international economic issues in the US, including negotiations on strong currency agreements around the Trans Pacific Partnership.
– Adeyemo is the son of Nigerian parents, who left Nigeria to seek greener pasture in the US. According to him, his parents “immigrated to this country in search of the American dream and the opportunity to give my brother, sister, and me a better life.”
– The 34-year-old Nigerian holds a bachelor’s of arts from the University of California, Berkeley, and also a Juris Doctor (JD) for further studies in specialised law from the Yale Law School.
It was so evident that Obama is very proud of the young man, as seen in his statement, while announcing Adeyemo as his new deputy NSA. Obama said:
“I will be calling on Wally’s intellect, judgment and dedication as we sustain America’s global economic leadership, which reinforces our national security, and as we work with allies and partners around the world to create jobs and opportunity for all our people.”
Awesome achievement right? We know!!!