A civil society organisation, the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, SERAP, has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to launch a probe into how over N80bn support funds meant for the victims of the Boko Haram insurgency was spent.
The group, which made this demand in its Independence Day message, said this year’s celebration might be described as happy for anyone but the same cannot be said for hundreds of victims of explosions and their families, who it said, were suffering neglect.
SERAP recalled that the Bomb Victims Association of Nigeria recently reported how victims of insurgency were dying needlessly, saying such deaths were avoidable if urgent and continuous medical attention were provided for them.
It said the neglect being suffered by victims of insurgency in the country was exemplified by the case of Hope Musa from Taraba State, “who died recently as a result of untreated injuries suffered from bomb blast”.
In the goodwill message signed by its Executive Director, Adetokunbo Mumuni, SERAP pleaded with President Buhari to set up a framework that would identify all the victims of insurgency in the country.
This, he argued, would ensure that they benefit from the Victims Support Funds.
The statement reads in part: “SERAP called on the government of President Muhammadu Buhari to investigate the spending of the over N80bn under the Victims Support Funds to ensure transparency and accountability and adequate support, assistance, and care for families and victims of Boko Haram’s attacks across the country.
“Nigerians would like to know how exactly the over N80bn was disbursed, with details of the number of victims and their families that have so far benefitted from the funds.
“It is clear that the plight of victims of blasts won’t end unless and until the funds are appropriately and transparently spent.
“If Nigeria is to celebrate its 56th independence anniversary in a better shape than it is today, the victims of bombings and other victims of Boko Haram insurgency, including the internally displaced persons, need to know that they will never be forgotten in their difficult moment”.
The group, therefore, urged Buhari to “in conformity with his fight against corruption, set up a framework that would identify the real victims of Boko Haram and facilitate their access to the Victims Support Funds”.
Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter
Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.
The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.
Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.
The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.
“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”
Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun!
My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.
Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer in sha Allah. May Allah forgive & be Merciful to her.
— Isa Ali Pantami, PhD (@DrIsaPantami) November 23, 2020
Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu
Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.
The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.
The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.
Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.
He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.
Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims
Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.
According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.
The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.
He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.
Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.
- Politics19 hours ago
BREAKING: Senator Abbo Dumps PDP; Joins APC
- News Feed19 hours ago
Lai Mohammed reacts to second report on Lekki tollgate shooting
- Entertainment18 hours ago
“You Are Looking At The Champion” – Burna Boy Reacts To His Grammy Nomination
- National News22 hours ago
Family Of Slain Vendor Demands N500m Compensation From Gbajabiamila, Threatens Legal Action
- Entertainment19 hours ago
Socialite Pretty Mike And His 6 Pregnant Babymamas Make It To The Wendy Williams Show
- News Feed19 hours ago
Water tank driver accuses Duncan Mighty of assaulting him in Rivers
- News Feed19 hours ago
Offa Polytechnic Student Union Government Gives Merit Award To Cultist Groups
- Entertainment17 hours ago
Williams Uchemba Reacts After He Was Accused Of Being Gay