Egbin Power Plant in Ikorodu, Lagos, the biggest generating power station in Nigeria, has shut operations, leading to a drop from its 1,100 megawatts to zero.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that its generation drooped since Saturday.
A senior management staff of the station told NAN anonymously that the cause was due to an alleged sabotage by one of the former employees of the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria.
The source told NAN that the former staff threw an object into the power plant and it tripped off.
The management of Egbin Power Plc had said in a statement on Tuesday that the operations of the plant were being threatened by the activities of illegal occupants.
The statement said that huge investments and continuing upgrade following the plant’s privatisation on Nov. 1, 2013 had since shored its generation capacity to over 1,100 megawatts.
According to the statement, the illegal occupants who have refused to leave the plant’s Housing Estate since Nov. 1, 2013 are set to make good their threat to sabotage Egbin’s operations.
“This unfortunate development portends grave danger that is capable of decimating recent progress in the power sector.
“Already, outcome from investigations into some criminal activities at the Housing Estate have been linked to these illegal residents and their collaborators.
“It is instructive to note that management has declared Amber Security Alert on the plant as a proactive step to protect lives and property.
“We also consider it imperative to stress that given the status of Egbin in the nation’s power sector, the activities of these illegal occupants constitute a threat to national security, it requires urgent intervention”, it added.
The management, therefore, appealed to the employees to remain calm as they go about their normal activities without any inhibition.
However, Mr Godwin Idemudia, Head, Media Communications Strategies of Eko Electricity Distribution Company, told NAN that non-generation of power by Egbin since Saturday had affected their operations.
Idemudia disclosed that only 40 megawatts had so far been received through Ikeja West transmission station which was distributed according to customer’s at Alagbon, Ajah and Lekki axis.
He said that the drop had seriously affected the operations and revenue generation of the Disco.
Idemudia appealed to customers within the company’s network to bear with it pending when the energy it receives from Egbin and national grid improved to serve customers better. (NAN)
Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun
Some of the vehicles in the Governor’s convoy were also destroyed by the thugs but the Governor himself was evacuated to safety by his security team.
As the convoy was leaving the protest venue, some of the youths continued to stone his vehicles.
While the protest was disrupted, Governor Oyetola assured the injured victims that the government would be responsible for their medical bills.
#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Constitutes Panel Of Enquiry
In a bid to quell the #EndSARS protest which is spreading like a raging inferno across the country, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the Governor of Lagos State has set up a panel of inquiry and restitution for victims of SARS.
This was announced in a statewide broadcast on Thursday.
The panel will be a 7-man panel which will ensure that all those with verifiable cases of SARS brutality or fatality receive compensation.
The Panel will be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, while members are Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society), Taiwo Lakanu (a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police), Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society); Segun Awosanya aka Segalink (Human Rights Activist).
Others are Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens Mediation Center), a rep/member of the youth-led protest, and a representative of the Human Rights Commission.
There will be a help desk for the complaints and petitions to the panel.
Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother
Abigail Makinde, the mother of the governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, is dead.
The Chief Press Secretary to Mr Makinde, Taiwo Adisa, however, told newsmen that the family will soon make an official statement on the death of the deceased.
He said: “Yes. The family will make an official statement.
“The family will soon make an official statement. In the next few minutes, the family will make an official statement, in few minutes.”
It was gathered that Mr Makinde lost his father, Olatunbosun Makinde, a few years ago.
It was learnt that Mrs Makinde died in the early hours of Thursday.
She died at the age of 81.
- Entertainment9 hours ago
“Those Inmates In Benin Were Illegally Released By Authorities” – BBNaija’s Tacha Claims
- News Feed12 hours ago
Thugs set prisoners free after hijacking #EndSARS protest in Edo
- National News12 hours ago
BREAKING: Edo Government Declares 24-Hour Curfew
- Education16 hours ago
NECO Shifts Exam Over #EndSARS Protest
- Entertainment13 hours ago
‘Arrest Us Too’ – Genevieve Nnaji Reacts To Arrest Of Protesters In Kano
- Travel12 hours ago
Exotic Resorts May Be the Best Bet for a Holiday
- Entertainment9 hours ago
#EndSARS: ‘We Want To Change Established Systems’ – Singer Bez
- News Feed16 hours ago
Cardi B deactivates Twitter account