He could easily pass for someone who was tired of everything around him, not even with the way he carried himself, but beyond his gloomy demeanour, he is truly hurting, angry and deeply frustrated, all at once, though he tried to hide it with some fake smiles.
Iduh Lucky, as he introduced himself to our correspondent when he came to share his story with Saturday PUNCH at the PUNCH headquarters recently, is not only sad about the unemployment crisis in the country, but more so because he has been duped of thousands of naira by a senior immigration officer who offered to help him secure a job and is now nowhere to be found.
The way Lucky strapped his brown envelope to his armpit as he entered the waiting room at PUNCH PLACE gave a clear impression that he had ground-shaking documents in the weather-beaten pack. He left no one in doubt about this as he held on to it tightly until it was time to unveil the content, which he later did, carefully.
Lucky said he met the officer, Ekon Godwin Obeye, a Superintendent of Immigration, through his childhood friend shortly before the ill-fated 2014 recruitment exercise and that he paid a total of N625,000 to the officer.
Pushed to the wall by the frustrations that could only accompany seven years of joblessness, Lucky was open to anything that could fetch him a job. Thus, when a childhood and trusted friend of his, identified simply as Godwin, who was also looking for job, told him he knew someone in Immigration that could help them get a job, he jumped at the offer and they both hoped for the best.
Based on the assurance from his friend, he said he was optimistic the man would help.
Lucky recalled that shortly after that, his friend got a job and he had to relate with Obeye directly.
“He invited me to his office, Immigration office, Alagbon Close, Ikoyi, Lagos, on September 23, 2013. I met with his colleagues and he later took me to his house at Lewis Street. I met his wife and children, and all those erased my doubts.”
Lucky said he met other guys in the house, most of whom gave money to him while he handed them mouth-watering promises of their “employment letter coming soon,” which he said gave him an indication that he was not alone.
He said, “His wife was also there. When those people left, he told me that the deal would cost me N250,000 but I told him I didn’t have that kind of money, so he said I should pay half and pay the remaining when I got my appointment letter. I agreed.
“Right there, I called my dad to send me N100,000, which he sent to my account that same day. Obeye wanted the money in cash but I insisted on paying it into his account so I could have the record. I paid the money into his account that day.”
Lucky, who graduated in 2008 and had remained unemployed since then, kept warming up for the job that was to come, but when it was taking forever, he started disturbing Obeye, who kept reassuring him and stressed the need for him to be patient.
He explained, “He kept promising, but in December, he said I should send him another money because he would need to settle the personal assistant to the minister. All these happened before the test. And there were times he would tell me to send him credit and transport fare to Abuja. On his request, I paid him another N25,000 on December 15, 2013, making it N125,000.”
Soon after the test, which was later cancelled owing to the tragedy that characterised it, Lucky said he started getting worried and had to tell Obeye to refund his money.
He explained, “I kept going to his house, but when he wasn’t forthcoming. When I went with my younger brother to his house in June 2014, he asked for two weeks, saying he had a Qatar visa programme he wanted to introduce to me. I declined, but my brother showed interest in it. It even caused fight between my brother and I.
“He said the programme would cost N500,000, covering ticket, visa and other things. He said someone would be there waiting to receive him and give him a job. While we were there, other persons came to his house for the visa and that convinced my brother.”
“His wife managed to convince my brother and father when they spoke on the phone, but I had my reservations. She assured my father that the visa would be ready in three weeks. On July 11, 2014, my father sent the money and we paid it.”
On the date Obeye gave Lucky that his brother would travel, he said they packed his brother’s bags and left for the airport but that they had to go back home in shame when they couldn’t reach Obeye again. He said they even met some of the people they had met in Obeye’s house before but they all had to go back home. After several calls to Obeye, which were not successful, it finally dawned on Lucky that he had been swindled twice by the same officer.
He said, “I visited his house many times but I didn’t meet him. I went to his office but I learnt he travelled to Abuja on an assignment. My father even came and he met the wife but she kept pleading for more time. When we couldn’t get him, we had to report the case at the Lion Building police station.”
Lucky explained that Obeye’s neighbour paid him N150,000 in October last year, part of which he said he had spent to “mobilise” the policemen on their request. He added, “I’ve not seen this man since then. I went to his house but there was nobody there. The last time I called him, he threatened to deal with me if I called him again. The police said I should call them anytime I lay my hands on him.”
According to the documents Lucky made available to Saturday PUNCH, Obeye had written several undertakings to pay back the money but he had yet to do so. The letter written by Lucky’s lawyer showed that the case had been properly documented with the Area ‘A’ Command Headquarters at Lion Building and the Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department at Yaba.
At the moment, Lucky’s hope of being employed with the NIS has since taken a nosedive for the worst, but not without taking his well being along. “I’m sure there are other people whom he has duped, but my worry is that he might soon retire because he is an old man, and if he does, how do I get the remaining N475,000 back,” he said.
When our correspondent called Obeye’s three phone numbers, none was available, and a visit to his office at Alagbon Close, Ikoyi, did not produce any result as he was nowhere to be found. Some officers who confided in our correspondent said nobody knew where he was. They added that there had been series of cases against him but nobody could find him.
“I can tell you that nobody knows where he is and I don’t think he is still with us. He has some questions to answer with us too, but we can’t find him,” one of them said.
The Spokesperson for Lagos State Police Command, Joe Offor, had yet to respond to an enquiry by our correspondent while that of Immigration was not available as of press time.
The amazing news, however, is that Obeye is still in the service of the Nigeria Immigration Service but currently at large.
Social media spreads what you feed it – Ruggedman tells Lai Mohammed
Ruggedman, Nigerian Rapper has stated that social media spreads what it is fed with.
The rapper said this in response to calls for social media regulation by Nigeria’s Information minister, Lai Mohammed.
Information Nigeria recalls that Lai Mohammed had said there is a need to regulate social media before it destroys the country.
Reacting to Lai Mohammed’s call for social media regulation, the famous rapper asked the Nigerian government to feed social media with contents of their completed projects and earn accolades rather than advocate for its regulation.
According to the musician, only those who are afraid of their failures being exposed are afraid of social media.
He tweeted, “Who is us? Social media spreads what you feed it. Feed social media with positive works you have done and it will be spread it. You will in turn get respect and accolades. Only those who do not want their unproductive, failed selves exposed are afraid of social media. #DoYourWork.”
Who is us? Social media spreads what you feed it. Feed social media with positive works you have done and it will be spread it. You will in turn get respect and accolades. Only those who do not want their unproductive, failed selves exposed are afraid of social media. #DoYourWork https://t.co/UUQPNEuyKv
— RUGGEDMAN (@RuggedyBaba) October 28, 2020
Protest against police brutality: Protesters loot shopping mall in Philadelphia (Video)
Protesters in have taken to the streets to break into and loot into businesses for a second night after officers in Philadelphia shot and killed a black man who was holding a knife in an encounter that city officials say raises questions.
The protests began after a Philadelphia Police officer fatally shot a Black man in West Philadelphia.
Protesters gathered in West Philadelphia around 7 p.m. Tuesday, October 27, and marched to the 18th District police headquarters.
Also, Tuesday night, the lawyer for the family of Walter Wallace Jr., who was shot dead by police, said the family had called for an ambulance, not police, to get him help with a mental health crisis.
The death of Walter in front of his family members sparked outrage, which in turn sparked demonstrations and then lootings as hoodlums took advantage.
Philadelphia police said that two officers were hurt during Tuesday night’s unrest, but they didn’t reveal the extent of their injuries.
Along with the protest, more looting occurred in the city Tuesday night and continued into Wednesday, despite Wallace Jr.’s family’s denunciation of such actions.
Many cars could be seen pulling up to the shopping centers as people ran in and out of stores with carts full of merchandise and even televisions. Police would move in and scatter the looters, but people would sometimes return once the officers left.
Below is a video:
The moment some people were seen looting Philadelphia area Walmart in U.S pic.twitter.com/jg5uo3HDEb
— Naija (@Naija_PR) October 28, 2020
Peace and security will be restored in the country– President Buhari Tells Nigerians
The President has reminded Nigerians of the need to guard jealously the unity of the nation which was won at great cost.
President Muhammadu Buhari has requested Nigerians to refrain from words and actions that could threaten the progress and unity of the country.
The President made the appeal during the launching of the 2021 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) Emblem and Appeal Fund in Abuja on Wednesday October 28.
At the ceremony, President Buhari said this year’s occasion reminds Nigerians of the need to guard jealously the unity of the nation which was won at great cost.
The President, who stressed that ‘‘Nigeria’s strength lies in her diversity’’, honoured the memory of the nation’s fallen heroes and veterans, recounting their sacrifices during the First and Second World Wars, the Nigerian Civil War and Peace Support Operations around the world.
He also paid tribute to men and women currently engaged in internal security operations, particularly the ongoing fight against insurgency, terrorism and armed banditry in some parts of the country, praising them for remaining steadfast in the difficult task of restoring peace and security despite the coronavirus pandemic.
”We honour the memory of our gallant officers and men who have paid the supreme sacrifice in order to keep the country united as one entity.
‘The nation remains grateful for the efforts and sacrifice of the Armed Forces especially in the fight against insurgency and other internal security challenges confronting Nigeria.
‘The Armed Forces Remembrance Day or Veterans Day as it is known in some parts of the world is an important event observed in commemoration of the end of the Second World War.
In Commonwealth member countries, the Remembrance Day is observed on 11th November yearly. However, for us the date was changed to 15th January annually to accommodate the commemoration of the end of the Nigerian Civil War’’ he said.
On security operations in the North West and North Central zones in the country, President Buhari expressed delight at the return of normalcy in some of the areas that previously witnessed security challenges.
”Our dear nation has witnessed numerous security challenges since independence.
”These security threats have undermined Nigeria in the areas of trade, investment and economy, education, health as well as agriculture and frequently denied Nigerians the freedom of movement.
”I am however pleased to state that a lot has been achieved in the Internal Security operations in the North West and North Central zones where in addition to Operations LAFIYA DOLE, HADARIN DAJI, HARBIN KUNAMA, WHIRL STROKE, other operations such as ACCORD, SAHEL SANITY and KATSINA were successfully launched.
”This has led to the return of normalcy in some of the affected areas. However, all hands must be on deck to check attacks on soft targets, ” he said.
- National News20 hours ago
#EndSARS: Lagos Govt Invited Us To Restore Order – Army
- National News19 hours ago
Lekki Shooting: ‘Sanwo-Olu Has Been Thrown Under The Bus By Military’ – Fani-Kayode
- News Feed18 hours ago
Court strikes out homosexuality charges against crossdresser James Brown (Video)
- Entertainment18 hours ago
Bobrisky Flaunts His Newly Acquired iPhone 12 Pro (Photo)
- National News16 hours ago
Fayemi Orders Resumption Of All Workers In Ekiti
- Entertainment16 hours ago
“I Can’t Remember The Last Time I Had Sex” – Davido Confesses
- National News20 hours ago
2023: Buhari Reappoints Mahmood Yakubu As INEC Chairman
- National News20 hours ago
Social Media Will Destroy Us If We Don’t Regulate It: Lai Mohammed