When a relationship ends, we forget that the only objective available to us isn’t to get right back into another one.
We see a huge, gaping hole waiting to be filled and we assume that it has to be someone else’s mind and heart and spirit that must fit perfectly inside of it. That we’ll just be a little bit empty or a little bit lonely or a little bit undone until we meet someone new – and even if we’re okay with that, it’s a problematic way of looking at things.
Because here’s the truth about that hole – it’s there. It’s real. It’s begging to be filled (spare me the innuendo). But it isn’t in the shape of someone else, it’s simply in the shape of what they offered us – be that stability, excitement, validation or understanding.
There are an infinite number of activities, an infinite number of projects, an infinite number of ways we could fill that empty space that someone else left. And so few of those ways involve falling back in love.
We forget, all too easily, that there’s a whole world out there to be explored. That there are more people to meet, experiences to have and lives to lead than we will ever have time to fully take hold of.
So instead of moping over one measly person in a world of seven billion, here are 30 awesome alternatives that you can take on all by yourself.
1. Learn a foreign language. Get a language app or a conversation partner or a bilingual dictionary and force your mind to twist itself into a brand new way of comprehending other people.
2. Move to a far-away country for an indefinite period of time. Come back when you feel like it, or never come back at all.
3. Get a motorcycle license. Rent a motorcycle and drive it around town on the days you want to feel like a badass.
4. Get into the best shape of your life. Appreciate your body not just for the way it looks through someone else’s eyes, but for the way it feels to you. Learn your new physical limits, and then push them again and again.
5. Go visit a friend who’s moved away – the one you keep saying you’ll visit but never actually do.
6. Learn to play an instrument. Devote an hour a day to practicing and watch yourself improve in leaps and bounds. Make a Youtube channel if you feel so inspired. Connect with other artists and work your way into a new community.
7. Volunteer somewhere. If you’re tired of the world inside your own mind, start devoting your time to a cause that doesn’t involve you. Realize that there’s an entire Universe outside of your house and that it needs your help.
8. Learn to scuba dive or rock climb or paraglide. Whichever makes you feel the coolest.
9. Become financially independent (if you’re currently not). Get a part time job and pay your debts down if you have them. Realize that money doesn’t buy happiness but it sure does buy peace of mind and that’s a similar concept.
10. Take up Yoga. Become one of those people who Instagrams yourself posing on a cliff side at sunset and feel absolutely zero shame about it.
11. Write a book. Write a joke book or a fiction novel or a memoir. Write the story that’s always been inside of you, taking up residence under your skin, because we all have one in us to tell.
12. Go back to school. Get a good education from whatever school you’re able to go to, without worrying about how far away from someone else you have to move.
13. Buy a onesie and big, huge mug to fill with tea and learn to comfort yourself on the nights when no one else is there to comfort you.
15. Plan your future without restraint. Daydream about quitting your job to go travel. Speculate over changing your career on a whim. Allow your imagination to run wild and realize that there’s not a lot stopping you from making those dreams a reality.
16. Make a big, huge, glaring mistake. Fall flat down on your face and realize that you can still pick yourself back up. That you’re accountable to only yourself. And that you still have so much time to make things right.
17. Go home and spend some serious time with your family. Get to know them as people, as adults and as friends.
18. Go out with friends and stay up until the sun rises. You have no one to report to but yourself so let the good times roll and for one night, just don’t worry about tomorrow.
19. Sleep spread eagle across the bed.
20. Pick a topic you’ve always been interested in, go to your local library and check out all of the books you can find on that topic. Read them all. Become an expert. Why not.
22. Join a meet-up group that revolves around an activity you’ve always wanted to try, but haven’t made time for yet. Make friends who share your interest and let the social commitment keep you coming back to continue exploring it.
23. Open up your home to couchsurfers. If you can’t afford to travel, live vicariously through their experiences and make friends from around the world.
24. Learn to dance. Take ballroom dancing or jazz lessons or pole dancing classes. Keep your body moving to whatever beat inspires you.
25. Redecorate your house, apartment or room. Paint it that color you never dared to. Buy that piece of furniture you always had your eye on. Enjoy your space, now that it’s all your own.
26. Train for a marathon. Then run it.
27. Learn to cook three meals really well. Impress friends with a rotation of those three dishes for basically the rest of your life.
28. Identify one thing you’re terrified of and go do it. If it’s flying, take a flight lesson. If it’s love, express your affection to somebody. Don’t worry about whether or not it’s going to work out – just do it for the sake of it, to know that you have challenged yourself.
29. Practice meditation. Get comfortable being alone with your thoughts and listen to what they’re trying to tell you.
30. Pick every trait you desire in a partner and cultivate them in yourself. There’s one person you’re definitely spending the rest of your life with and it’s you. So make yourself into one hell of a companion.
This article was originally published at Thought Catalog.
Exotic Resorts May Be the Best Bet for a Holiday
An exotic vacation usually means exploring a distant foreign country, whilst resorts are places
to go for rest, sport, or which offers a particular speciality, with many resorts being part of a
popular tourist destination or on or near a beach. If you are planning a vacation to an exotic
resort it can be a once-in-a-lifetime vacation to a far-flung destination or a luxurious place to
stay closer to home where you can enjoy some pampering.
Why stay at an exotic resort
Exotic resorts often offer all-inclusive vacation deals, along with other options that leave you
to plan your stay more precisely to your own wishes. These resorts offer excellent customer
service, superb accommodation and facilities and are usually to be found in beautiful settings.
Here are some of the best resorts from around the world for you to consider:
Four Seasons Resort, Seychelles
This famous resort has made many feel they have entered Paradise. The gentle ocean breeze
floats up the granite hillside and into your tree-house villa tucked away from the other guests
staying at the resort. This is perfect for encouraging you to relax, either by your private pool
or in the clear blue waters of Petite Anse Bay. Perfect for a romantic stay, there is a Spa for
pampering and the chance for a sunset meal on a deserted beach.
Some enjoy simply sitting on their balcony, gazing at the ocean between reading their book,
sketching or checking out international bookmakers and betting sites for the chance of a
flutter. If you want another type of adrenaline kick, check out the resorts excellent kayaking
and snorkelling facilities, which are recommended by nearly all who try it.
Anantara Resort, Hua Hin, Thailand
The ultimate tropical getaway, the Anantara Resort is an award-winning site modelled on a
traditional Thai village and is just three hours drive south of Bangkok. The location is where
Thai royalty and aristocrats have been holidaying for almost one-hundred years. Today, you
can visit historical attractions alongside theme parks and shops as well as vineyards and golf
The resort is set among 14 acres of lush tropical grounds with lotus-filled lagoons and
meandering pathways through exotic foliage, with many rooms overlooking the shoreline.
Each day, chefs prepare freshly caught local seafood alongside Thai specialities. The resort
also has an award-winning spa located within a lagoon-inspired oasis offering you the perfect
opportunity to relax.
Kurumba is a well-established resort that opened almost 50 years ago and continues to offer
superb hospitality and contemporary facilities. There are seven speciality restaurants offering
cuisine from Italy to the Middle East as well as Thila, a restaurant which extends out over the
water which offers gourmet breakfasts and seafood dinners.
You can go snorkelling over the nearby reef full of colourful marine life or sign up to a dive
package as part of your stay, or just enjoy a private pool when staying at one of the spacious
villages. There are also deluxe beachfront bungalows offering direct beach access and views
of the crystal-clear waters.
Healthcare Workers To Receive Coca-Cola-Funded PPEs From Nigerian Red Cross
Since the outbreak of the Coronavirus disease in Nigeria, our healthcare workers have continued to lead the charge against the disease. As the number of recorded COVID-19 cases in Nigeria began to increase, these healthcare workers rose to the challenge and fought tirelessly to protect the lives of Nigerians impacted by the disease.
Considering the risks these healthcare workers face, there is a crucial need for adequate protective equipment for these brave frontline workers.
Coca-Cola is excited that over 400,000 Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) procured to support the intervention efforts of the Nigerian Government and other key stakeholders to fight the COVID 19 pandemic have arrived. We do believe that this will to provide succor to our healthcare workers on the frontlines
These PPEs comprise N95 respirators, surgical masks, examination gloves, face shields, medical gowns, no-touch thermometers, disposable aprons, heavy-duty rubber gloves, rubber boots, basic masks, disposable gloves, and hand sanitizers.
Since the first confirmed case of the disease in Nigeria reported in February, over 800 healthcare workers have contracted the disease. While Nigerians are encouraged to stay home where possible and practice social distancing, these healthcare workers are needed across the country in the continued fight against the disease.
This donation forms part of The Coca-Cola Foundation’s COVID-19 relief interventions in Nigeria. The Coca-Cola Foundation has provided $2.5m in grant to IFRC who seeks to directly impact the lives of 1.4 million people in Nigeria and across other countries in West and Central Africa under this partnership.
Taking Care of Tomorrow’s Leaders Today – The itel, Lagos Food Bank Example
Waking up to a special meal or choice gift is the best feeling ever. Hundreds of children in Mushin, mainland Lagos, had a filling taste of this feeling for the October 1 st celebrations. It’s an experience they will remember for a long time.
Being one of the most responsible corporate citizens around, celebrating Independence Day was always going to be on the radar for itel Mobile. To make this possible and memorable, the brand got to work in earnest. The focus of the work was picking the best way to commemorate the 60th independence anniversary of the most populous black nation on earth.
The efforts soon paid off through an impact-driven partnership with the Lagos Food Bank Initiative. With the arrangement, both partners considered a couple of activities capable of affecting communities positively and bringing smiles to people’s faces in Lagos. At the end of the exercise, taking care of children, the leaders of tomorrow, in the commercial city secured the highest votes.
With the decision, itel Mobile set about making this happen. Not surprisingly, the decision was
influenced by giving children the means to excel and prepare them for leadership and nation-building, for them to enjoy better life. For the good of their immediate family, community and the Nigerian society.
Idiko, Mushin, a suburb of mainland Lagos, was chosen as the benefiting community. And the partners strategically reached out to the beneficiaries, children and families, with gifts of love, care, happiness and support made possible by the itel Love Always On CSR initiative.
Over 1,000 families benefited from the gesture as well as 600 children, and each one of them received food packages to celebrate Nigeria’s 60 th Independence Day commemoration.
Speaking on the event and itel’s Love Always On CSR Initiative, Oke Umurhohwo, itel’s Marketing Manager said, ‘We wanted to mark this year’s Independence Day celebrations differently, and that is why we did something so momentous for our children. Children are the backbone of any longstanding community, and as such, we are proud to be able to give back and support them on their journey as leaders of tomorrow and for a better life.’
To meet the demands of the memorable event, 30 volunteers joined the customer-centric brand and the Lagos-based NGO to share smiles, and to convey just how important it is to love and take care of today’s children who will ultimately become leaders of tomorrow.
With the thoughtful activity, there are insights for everyone, from the government to citizens, on partnerships that are capable of making life better for children. Indeed, itel Mobile and the Lagos Food Bank Initiative have offered a great template on bringing this to reality.
- News Feed21 hours ago
“I don’t care about #EndSARS”- Edo state deputy governor’s son slams protesters
- Entertainment22 hours ago
Actress Ada Ameh Breaks Down In Tears; Begs Government To Allow Her Bury Daughter (Video)
- National News23 hours ago
Lekki Toll Gate Shooting: Osinbajo Breaks Silence
- News Feed21 hours ago
Hoodlums Looting At Bode Thomas Street In Lagos (VIDEO)
- News Feed21 hours ago
Sanwo-Olu Confirms Lekki Toll Gate CCTV Still Intact
- National News24 hours ago
#EndSARS: ECOWAS Urges Nigerian Govt To Conduct Speedy Investigation Into Shootings
- Entertainment24 hours ago
Mark Angel Reacts After He Was Almost Beaten Up By Angry EndSARS Protesters Who Accused Him Of Using Them For Comedy
- National News23 hours ago
#EndSARS: Obaseki Gives Escaped Inmates 48hours To Return