Connect with us

Uncategorized

SHOCKING!!! Dead Woman ‘Withdraws’ Over N500 000 From Own Bank Account

Published

on

1

Mrs Cordelia Iweg­buna Idowu Okocha was 50 when she died of breast cancer, on August 7, 2004, and was buried in September 2004. However, 4 years after her death, she ‘visited’ her bank and withdrew more than N527,500 from her savings account in a first generation bank (name withheld). The statement of account of the dead woman indicated that she withdrew N500,000 by ‘self ’ on February 19, 2008. It was reported that On Febru­ary 28, 2008, she made another withdrawal of N27,500 by ‘self’. She made all the withdrawals at the Awolowo Road branch of the bank. She was survived by her only child, Chukwudi Uche Okocha who was 17 at the time of his mother’s death. He said:

“My mother died on August 7, 2004 as a result of breast cancer and my dad died on February 1, 2006. He slept and did not wake up. I am the only child of my parents, I was 17 years old when my mother died. My mum was sick for about eight months, suffering from breast cancer before she gave up. Since my parents died, I’ve been managing, trying to cope through the help of family and friends. There is a particular family that took me under their care and since then I’ve been living with them. And to God be the glory, they have been trying. I got admission into University of Lagos to study Mathematics in 2006. It has not been easy not having one’s parents around.

“My mother spent a lot of money when she was sick due to the nature of the sickness. We all know that it is not easy to manage cancer. But about a month before she died, she told me that she had something in her savings account; that was her salary account. She told me that whatever happened, there was something left in the account. When she died, she was paid her July salary. Before she died, she told me that she had over N200,000 left in her account and when she died her salary was paid into the account. So, there was over N500,000 in the account when she died.”

“But being the only one, I was not able to process the trans­fer of the money to my account. My dad was unable to process it before he died. Between 2008 and 2009, I tried to process the letter of administration of my mother’s estate through the Lagos probate court and they gave me the certificate to get the money in the account. That was when I applied for the balance and they told me that the balance was about N500. I was shocked because she told me what she had left in the account before she died and I know she did not go to the bank after she told me what she had in the bank. But even if there was no money, the July salary should have been there because it was paid after she had died. And I have a copy of the pay slip for the July salary. When I met Barrister Eluma, I complained to him that there was something wrong with the account.

“When we went to see the then branch manager of the bank, she asked if I was sure that my mother was dead. But she was not ready to disclose anything. So, I felt there was foul play somewhere and I decided to see a lawyer and see what we could do about it. We discovered that two withdrawals were made from my mother’s account in Febru­ary, 2008; that is four years after she died. Did she come from her grave to withdraw the money from her account? It is a savings account, meaning that she was the only person who could make withdrawals from the account. So, how come withdrawals were made four years after she died? The withdrawals were made by ‘self’ according to the statement of account. It means that some­body, most likely a staff, who knows she was dead or knows something about her withdrew the money.

“What I need now is for them to refund the money and pay some compensation for the inconveniences I have gone through over the years. If I had been able to access the money, it would have been very useful, particularly when I was in school. Again, the value of the money has depreciated in the past 11 years. You can imagine what I could have done if I had gotten the money then. So, they should compensate me.”

Continue Reading
10 Comments

10 Comments

  1. ejiofor

    July 26, 2015 at 5:24 pm

    Nigerians are well organized criminals

  2. Nec

    July 26, 2015 at 7:23 pm

    The Bank knows what have happened to the money.

  3. Chisa

    July 26, 2015 at 8:18 pm

    The caption said N5m and the money collected N527’500 and balance N500 only. What of the remaining N4m something, when did she come to collect those one?

  4. Sulaiman ramon

    July 26, 2015 at 9:49 pm

    That bank manager knows about the money . # .5m not #5m

  5. Ranti

    July 26, 2015 at 11:54 pm

    Those guy know someting abt it.no ghost anywere moreover,ur late mum knows dat u re in need of dat money.

  6. EZE

    July 27, 2015 at 6:51 am

    Is not only re-incarnation of the dead. My friend sue those criminal bankers to court they should be held responsible. Thief, Ole.

  7. TUNS

    July 27, 2015 at 8:51 am

    IT IS A BANTER LIE NO DEAD WILL COME BACK AND WITHDRAW MONEY BANK OFFICIALS ARE INVOLVED, I KNOW OF A BANKER WHO FIRED ON THE GROUND OF THIS PARTICUR CRIME IN IKORODU BRANCH OF ONE BANK, HOLD THEM VERY WELL THEY WILL REFUND UR MONEY

  8. Figure 8

    July 27, 2015 at 11:21 am

    Dts d way dey survive oo, dose bankers? Thiefs.tufiakwa

  9. steve kalu

    July 27, 2015 at 12:27 pm

    I think bank is in good position to know were the money is.

  10. Angel

    July 27, 2015 at 3:37 pm

    Nigeria my country. nawa oooooo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Lagos Policemen Brutalise PUNCH Journalists For Covering #EndSARS Protest

Published

on

Lagos Policemen Brutalise PUNCH Journalists For Covering #EndSARS Protest

Two PUNCH journalists, Femi Dawodu and Segun Odunayo, were on Wednesday brutalised by policemen guarding the Lagos State House of Assembly in Ikeja.

The duo had gone to cover events around the Alausa area, a major demonstration ground of the #EndSARS protesters calling for a total overhaul of the Nigeria Police Force.

According to the PUNCH, both Odunayo and Dawodu were recording a live video of activities in the area when the policemen accosted them and ordered them to stop the recording.

After showing the policemen their identity cards, indicating that they are journalists covering #EndSARS protests and monitoring compliance with the government-imposed curfew, the policemen became annoyed and pounced on them.

Odunayo said the policemen tortured them for four hours, adding that they stripped them of their clothes, laid them on the floor, beat them with a stick and guns, and took a video recording of them while torturing them at the Lagos State House of Assembly.

Odunayo said, “Femi and I were at the Secretariat in Alausa around 7 am and were doing a live video of the activities going on in the area. We were heading back to the expressway when a group of armed policemen accosted us at the Lagos State House of Assembly roundabout and immediately collected our phones. We showed them our ID cards, but they refused to let us go.

“What got the policemen annoyed was that we saw them using a stick and a rubber to beat a young man, and during the live video, they heard me saying that they were beating someone. So, after they arrested us, they tortured us and demanded that we should do another live video denying the statement, but we refused.

“Each Time we refused, they slapped us, used a stick to beat us, used the butt of their guns to hit our heads and bodies after stripping us of our clothes. All they wanted was for us to do another live broadcast to claim that we lied and we didn’t because we told the truth.”

Dawodu said it took the intervention of the state Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi before they were released at the Alausa Police Station, adding that before their release, the policemen took their details, including their addresses, took a video record of them and threatened to go after them if any negative report was published about what happened.

He said, “The policemen were transferring the aggression of what is happening regarding the #EndSARS protest on us. They later took us to the Divisional Police Station in Alausa, and if not for the DPO, the policemen guarding the LSHA that arrested us would have done more grievous things to us.

“The PPRO and the DPO later spoke with them, and we were released.

“But despite his intervention, we were told to write statements. They collected our details, address, took video recordings of us making false statements during the torture, and threatened to use it to blackmail and go after us if we end up doing any bad report against them.”

Sahara Reporters

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

CCTV At Lekki Toll Gate Was Not Removed -Lekki Concession Company Says

Published

on

CCTV At Lekki Toll Gate Was Not Removed -Lekki Concession Company Says

Lekki Concession Company in their press release has debunked the rumour that the Lekki Toll Gate CCTV camera was not removed.

Lekki, Ikoyi tolls will rise on February 1 – LCC - Ivory NG

According to the press release by the company which condemns the unlawful killings of the peaceful protesters said no one gave the order for the removal of the Closed Circuit Television System as the CCTV is still intact as of the time of this report.

Speaking further, the concession company revealed that if the CCTV was to be removed, it would require the use of machinery to reach the heights that they have been installed.

Read the release report below;

Image

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Government official has a hand in the present situation of the country – Babangida

Published

on

Government official has a hand in the present situation of the country – Babangida

Former Military president of Nigeria, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida has disclosed that the government has a hand in the mayhem going on in the country.

The 79-year-old made this remark owing to the massacre in Lekki toll gate and other parts of the country. He quoted Gen. Sani Abacha and disclosed that any insurgency that exceeds 24hours is being manipulated by the government.

Taking to his Twitter page he wrote;

“Once again, I will like to quote Late Gen. Sani Abacha: “Any Insurgency that lasts more than 24 hours, a government official has a hand in it.”

Continue Reading

Trending