Connect with us

Metro News

Nigerian Students To Be Sent Home Once They Graduate In The UK

Published

on

students-980315660

Nigerian students are to be banned from working in Britain under a fresh crackdown on immigration ordered by Home Secretary Theresa May.

According to the new order, the students will have to leave the country once courses finish, before reapplying to return for a job.

The new rules, which does not apply to only Nigerians but also to students from other countries outside the European Union is aimed at stopping immigrants from using colleges as a ‘back door to a British work visa’.

Nigeria is the 3rd largest country after China and India that sends a large number of its students to study in the UK. While the UK is not about to stop the international student market which is worth more than $17 billion dollars, it is putting stricter rules in place which may discourage foreign students.

The UK has a genuine reason for the new rules. According to official figures, 121,000 non-EU students entered the UK in the 12 months to June last year, but only 51,000 left – a net influx of 70,000. The government estimates that the number of foreign students coming to the UK will rise by more than 6 percent a year up to 2020.

Home Secretary May has therefore taken action against 870 bogus colleges, banning them from taking foreign students. But it won’t end there as the Conservatives have vowed to go further, especially without the Liberal Democrats in power to force the rules to be watered down. The final goal is to stop student visas being used as an easy way to enter the UK before getting a job and claiming benefits.

If the crackdown is achieved, several Nigerian students who study abroad with the hope of honing their skills for a few years after graduation before returning to Nigeria may have to find an alternative to British study.

Several study agents in Nigeria who make millions of naira from student placements every year may also lose a large market.

In the UK, business leaders are also not in tune with the plans by the government.

Seamus Nevin, head of employment and skills at the Institute of Directors, said: “The Business Secretary’s proposals to eject foreign students after graduation are misguided and would damage the British education system, our economy and global influence.

“Britain already makes it difficult and artificially expensive for international students to enter and stay, and now these proposals would eject them ignominiously when their studies are finished.

“Restricting talented workers from staying on in the UK would damage business and lead to a loss of important skills.

“Shutting the door to highly-trained international graduates at a time when our economy needs them most would be hugely damaging for UK businesses.

“In the interests our education sector, our businesses, and our international standing, the Business Secretary should reconsider this proposal,” he said.

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending