Rivers State Government has banned the consumption of local gin (popularly called Ogogoro or kai-kai) which was said to be responsible for the death of about 32 persons in parts of the state.
No fewer than 15 persons were said to have died at Woji Town in Port Harcourt, while 17 others died in Bonny Island after they consumed a dog meat delicacy and local gin containing a high dose of ethanol.
The Department of Disease Control in the state ministry of health announced the ban on Thursday. According to the department, it became necessary to avoid more people consuming the toxic substance.
However, samples could not be gotten from the vendor of the drink which allegedly led to the deaths. This is because angry youths of Woji had set the shop ablaze. The vendor, Friday Dickson, aka Etiaba had since been arrested by the police.