Connect with us

Metro News

Family Of Late A.B.U Don Accuse Police Authorities Of Cover Up In His Murder

Published

on

Ahmad-Mustapha-FalakiThe family of late Professor Ahmad Mustapha Falaki of Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria, yesterday accused police authorities of cover up in his murder.

Falaki, who was a director at the Institute of Agricultural Research (IAR) of the premier northern university, was killed in Fala village of Tudun Wada Local Government Area of Kano State, shortly after insurgents attacked Kibiya police station in February.

Giving an update on Wednesday, the Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of Zone 1, Tambari Y. Muhammad, said the interim report of investigation conducted on the case revealed that the late don was killed by a mob and that six policemen are being interrogated for negligence.

However, spokesperson for the family, Aminu Daneji, in a statement said the police authorities did not conduct a credible investigation.

“Based on eye-witness account, it was a combined team of local constables from Rurum and policemen from Kibiya, who are responsible for the murder of Professor Falaki, our brother.  When Falaki’s vehicle was collected by suspected Boko Haram members, many people came out to sympathize with him, and that was what they were doing when the police arrived the scene and carried out their dastardly act”, he said.

He added: “It may be recalled that the first account given by the police of that fateful evening was that the police force in Kibiya killed one Boko Haram member and arrested two others. It is utterly false to claim that some 2000 villagers were at the scene and that they are to blame for the act”.

Daneji pointed out that the single fatal deep cut to Prof Falaki’s neck, which caused his death, is not consistent with police claim of mob lynching involving such a mammoth crowd.

“There were no multiple cuts, lacerations or bruises on his body to suggest mob attack. While there was no noticeable gun wound on the deceased, the police report acknowledged that gun shots had been fired some of which narrowly missed Abbas Falaki, but their traces could be found on nearby trees. In view of what we consider a determine effort by the police to cover things up and blame it on Boko Haram and innocent people of Fala, we demand that the incident be investigated by an independent body”, he said.

Responding to the family’s claims, AIG Mohammed said the investigation was carried out without any prejudice and that he was not trying to cover up anything.

“If they have any evidence that the professor was killed with the use of gun, let them make it available. Walahi, I’m not siding or trying to cover the police, I have dismissed many policemen that committed less severe offences in the past. So why will I hide anything on this serious matter”, he said.

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending