Connect with us

Metro News

Only 6 Of 275 Females Rescued From Sambisa Forest Are Pregnant – NEMA

Published

on

Sambisa1The Director-General of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mr Muhammed Sidi, has said that only six of the 275 females rescued from the Sambisa Forest in Borno are pregnant.

Speaking at an interactive forum organised by a non-governmental organisation, 1 Nigeria Initiative, in Abuja on Sunday, Sidi said the speculation that most of them came out with pregnancy was not correct.

“I must put it on record that only six of them came with pregnancy and we must be very careful not to stigmatise these innocent Nigerians.

“This is necessary so that we do not end up stigmatising the child that is yet unborn. I think we must respect their rights”, Sidi advised.

He said that 70 per cent of the rescued females were children below five, while 63 of them could not identify their relatives.

“It is a terrible situation to have children under five unaccompanied, meaning that they have lost their parents and we cannot link with their parents at the moment”, he said.

Sidi said the women had been profiled by the military and confirmed as posing no security threat, having been innocent Nigerians seized by the Boko Haram insurgents.

He said that there were six camps otherwise known as “residential camps” in Yola in Adamawa holding 27,000 internally-displaced persons while another 200,000 were living in communities.

He said the agency had 14 camps at the beginning of 2014 in Adamawa alone.

“But most communities under the occupation of Boko Haram have been recovered and peace has returned, so the displaced persons are beginning to move back to their various communities”, Sidi said.

The NEMA boss commended the military for the successes so far recorded in the fight against the insurgency.

He also commended the UN, the Red Cross Society and non-governmental organisations, which had assisted in handling the displaced persons in Gombe, Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states. (NAN)

Metro News

Nigeria Ranks Third On Global Terrorism Index Despite Drop In Deaths – Report

Published

on

Nigeria Ranks Third On Global Terrorism Index Despite Drop In Deaths – Report

Boko Haram

Nigeria has been ranked as the third most terrorized country in the world according to a 2020 report by the Global Terrorism Index (GTI).

The report which was released on Wednesday, ranked Nigeria third only behind war-torn countries of Afghanistan and Iraq.

According to the GTI report, Nigeria witnessed an increase in Boko Haram attacks in the period under review, witnessing her worst terrorist attack in 2019 in northeastern Borno State, where at least 70 people were killed and 10 others wounded when insurgents attacked at a funeral.

Also Read: Presidency Clears Air On N150,000 Monthly Payment To Repentant Boko Haram Members

“Over the past year, Boko Haram increased attacks on military targets, with deaths rising from 26 in 2018 to 148 in 2019,” the report said.

However, the report recognized that terror-related incidents in the country fell by 27% in the same period due to a significant reduction in violence attributed to killer herdsmen.

“This reduction occurred despite a small increase in deaths attributed to Boko Haram, which has been the most active terrorist group in the country over the past decade. Deaths from terrorism in Nigeria are now 83 percent lower than at
their peak in 2014.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Trending