Connect with us

Metro News

Abuja bomb blast victims accuse FG of neglect

Published

on

FCT bomb blast victimsVictims of multiple bomb attacks in Abuja in 2014 on Wednesday staged a peaceful protest at the National Assembly to urge the Nigerian government to fulfil its promises to them.

The government had promised to foot the medical bills of the victims of the April 14 and June 25, 2014, blasts in Abuja.

The first blast occurred at the busy Nyanya motor park, and killed more than 75 people.

Another bomb hit Emab plaza, a shopping mall, on June 25, killing dozens.

Survivors of the attacks said the government did nothing to help them as promised many months after.

The victims converged on the premises of the National Assembly, with placards bearing different inscriptions.

Some of the victims said they could not continue with their treatments in the hospitals.

The Coordinator of the group, Arthur Vav, said they wanted the Federal Government to reopen their medical files in the hospitals for follow-up treatments.

Mr. Vav said most of the victims had undergone series of surgical operations, while some still had sharp objects lodged in their bodies that needed to be removed but could not afford the cost of treatment.

“The last bomb blast was June 25 which would be one year next month, while Nyanya already was one year April 14, since then we have been paying most of our medical bills.

“The government paid some bills for us but I strongly believe there are supposed to be a follow-ups after you have been discharged from the hospital.

“This is because when you get back to your house, you find out some sharp objects in the body and you discover you still need some medical treatment”, he said.

Mr. Vav said the group had written to the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), the President of the Senate and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, but received no response.

He said the peaceful demonstration was to express their grievances.

“We have been neglected by the government because for one year now nothing has been done”, he said.

Thomas Aduche, another member of the group, said they were left to fate without any support from the government.

Mr. Aduche said he paid for the last operation carried out on his neck and pleaded with the government to empower them as most of them had lost their jobs.

Two women who lost their husbands, Favour Ndubuisi and Sarah Andy, called on government to empower them to enable them to take care of their children.

“I am a qualified teacher but due to the lack of job I teach in private school where the salary is very small; if government will employ me, I will be happy”, Mrs. Ndubuisi said.

No lawmaker addressed the protesters.

Victor Dike, representing the Sergeant-At-Arms for the Senate, who addressed the group promised to look into their case.

Mr. Dike said the group wrote a letter to the Senate last two weeks and did not follow up to know the outcome.

“I promise to look for the solution to their problem through the letter they submitted and once we get the letter I will tell them the action they have taken on the letter and that is the normal procedure.

“They just submitted their letter two or three weeks ago and have not followed up the letter only to come for demonstration, it is not okay”, he said. (NAN)

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Police Confirm Abduction Of Nasarawa APC Chairman

Published

on

Police Confirm Abduction Of Nasarawa APC Chairman

Police

The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Nasarawa State, Philip Shekwor, has been kidnapped by unknown gunmen.

According to reports, Shekwor was abducted on Saturday night at his residence along Dunamis church, Bukan Sidi in Lafia.

Also Read: Gunmen Attack Police Station In Ibadan; Kill Police Corporal

Confirming the incident, Police Commissioner Bola Longe said the unidentified gunmen in large number stormed the residence of the APC chairman in Lafia around 11 pm and took him away to an unknown destination.

According to him, security agencies had reacted swiftly by deploying personnel to different forest locations to ensure the safe release of the APC chieftain.

Continue Reading

Trending