Connect with us

Metro News

INEC Fixes April 25 For Elections Re-run In Imo, Abia

Published

on

Inec3

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has fixed April 25 for the re-run of the governorship and state assembly elections in Imo and Abia States where elections were declared as inconclusive due to irregularities observed in the two states.

Addressing journalists at the INEC headquarters, Owerri, on Wednessday, the state Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Dr. Gabriel Adah, said the result of the governorship election was not clear enough to have an outright winner. In the 23 local government areas of Imo State, valid votes cancelled were about 145,000 much higher than the margin of winning which was put at 79,000 votes.

According to him, the inconclusiveness was as a result of non-functionality of card readers, violence and snatching of ballot boxes. “It would be wrong under such situation if a winner was declared.”

He said the election would therefore take place in 250 polling booths across the 23 local government areas of the state on Saturday, April 25.

In the same vein, he said the state House of Assembly was also inconclusive in six state constituencies namely: Ikeduru, Isiala Mbano, Oru East, Oguta, Isu and Owerri West.

The results of the assembly election released so far showed that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had won four while the All Progressives Congress (APC) won 16 state constituencies, adding that a re-run would take place in seven local government areas on the same date with the governorship election.

Adah explained that there would be a fresh accreditation of voters, adding that the commission would use card reader to do the verification, “but if the card reader fails, you must go through incident form as any other manual accreditation will not be accepted.”

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Anita Chinwe Ugo

    April 22, 2015 at 9:05 pm

    I pray that God will give us a leader who is ready to take Imo state to the next level and not backwards.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending