Over 200 schoolgirls abducted from Chibok, Borno State on April 14, 2014 by Boko Haram terrorists may be dead, an official of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Raad Zeid al Hussein believes.
Hussein’s belief is premised on the fact that the girls may have been part of the women who were murdered by the insurgents before they fled from Bama and other towns in Borno State following an offensive by the Nigerian military and allied forces from Chad and Niger.
The terrorists had slaughtered scores of abducted women who had been forced to marry Boko Haram fighters, in order to prevent them from getting remarried to “infidels” after their release.
Military sources told Thisday that the mystery surrounding the Chibok girls was yet to be unraveled.
“Unfortunately, on the Chibok girls, there is a strong lead that they might be among the women who were slaughtered by the fleeing terrorists and dumped into those wells in Bama.
“Remember the girls were said to have been forcibly converted to Islam and married off as trophies to those terrorists. We have a strong suspicion that they are part of those women butchered in Bama and other parts of the territories, which were under their captivity.
“Also, some of these terrorists are currently retreating to the border towns and some have successfully mingled into various towns and villages,” the source said.
Hopes were raised that the abducted Chibok girls would finally be found following successes recorded by the military against the Islamist sect leading to the retaking of several towns earlier occupied by the insurgents. However, the girls are yet to be found.
The sources also said neither the girls nor Shekau had been sighted since the liberation of Gwoza, which was the epicentre of the sect’s operations.