The Peoples Democratic Party, Lagos State chapter, says every person that attended the one-million-man march of the All Progressives Congress in Lagos on Saturday was paid at least N5,000 each.
The party in a statement by its Publicity Secretary, Mr. Taofik Gani, said groups that attended the march received between N1m and N10m.
The opposition party in the state said the APC was deceiving Lagosians by tagging the march as “one-million-march” even though the Teslim Balogun Stadium where the walk ended, could only accommodate 24,000 people.
According to Gani, during the rally, posters and billboards of its candidates were vandalised while two people in private vehicles were attacked for carrying the sticker of the PDP governorship candidate, Mr. Jimi Agbaje.
The statement read, “The PDP has described as blatant falsehood and over exaggeration of the number of attendees which the APC continues to put at one Million probably to give General Muhammadu Buhari false hope in Lagos State.
“The capacity of the stadium used is 24,325 and could not have accommodated over 100,000 without stampede! The Party notes that the APC was over ambitious to expect one million lovers of the APC in Lagos State at this period that the masses are disenchanted with its policies; a reason why Governor Babatunde Fashola could not attend the rally.
“The PDP posits that the realistic figure of about 11,000 APC members actually participated due to coercion or monetary inducement.
“The PDP further wants the security agencies to investigate the anomalies observed at the rally which include: Assault of persons; destruction of PDP campaign materials; use of abusive, threat, provocative speeches and songs.
“We condemn the actions of some overzealous members of the APC who participated in the Buhari/Osibajo rally but actually deployed to unleash on the banners and other campaign materials of PDP on the rally routes.
“Lagosians in two private cars and a commercial bus were harassed and the vehicles maliciously damaged because they had the stickers of the PDP and Agbaje. We blame the APC for not curtailing the excesses of such members in order to prevent such assaults.
“The number of persons at the rally can at best be near 11,000. This is in spite our intelligence report that individual participants were mobilised with N5,000 while the groups got between N1m and N10M each”.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- National News10 hours ago
How Jailbreaks In Edo, Ondo Happened
- Special Reports13 hours ago
Why Nigerians Protest Creation Of SWAT Police
- National News13 hours ago
#EndSARS: Hooligans Pushing For Regime Change – Northern Governors
- Entertainment7 hours ago
#EndSARS: Kiddwaya Appreciates Celebrities, Says They Are Heroes
- Entertainment11 hours ago
‘Anyone Making Jokes About Running Away From Nigeria Is Stupid’ – Runtown
- National News13 hours ago
Tell Nigerians Who Ordered Lekki shootings, Osundare Urges Buhari
- News Feed13 hours ago
“Our mumu don do” – Man blasts Garba Adamu for asking Northerners to ignore #EndSARS because Buhari is their brother
- National News12 hours ago
#EndSARS: Reno Omokri Slams Buhari Over National Broadcast