President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday, February 10, during the Presidential Media Chat tactfully took sides with some prominent Niger Delta militants who threatened war should the president loose in the forthcoming elections.
When commenting on the provocative utterances by the ex- niger delta militants, President Jonathan excused their actions on the bases that some politicians were instigating young people to act in ways not expected.
He said that provocative statements had been made by his opponents, stressing they too had threatened war.
He added that provocative statements were usually made by “actors” surrounding politicians, adding that such statements might not actually imply the intentions of the politician contesting an election.
He said “You know the actors around you can be carried away. These people (ex-militants) made these statements … based on ….you know when they have been carried away.”
Mr. Jonathan noted that he had been careful in making statements, being a sitting president.
President Goodluck Jonathan however categorically refrained from condemning the threats by the ex-militants.
It would be recalled that Mujahid Dokubo-Asari, leader, Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force; Victor Ben Ebikabowei, aka, Boy Loaf; and Government Ekpudomenowei, aka, Tompolo had in January declared there would be war if their kinsman, Mr. Jonathan does not win the elections during a meeting in Yenagoa, capital of Bayelsa State.