Connect with us

Metro News

Post-election Violence: More Evidence Submitted Against Buhari At ICC

Published

on

673px-International_Criminal_Court_logo

Counsel representing a Coalition of Northern Civil Society Organisations at the International Criminal Court of Justice (ICC), Professor Goran Sluiter, on Thursday, filed supplementary evidence against the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Muhammadu Buhari, over his alleged role in 2011 post-election violence.

Sluiter, who spoke on live telephone from Hague, headquarters of the court, during a news conference in Abuja, said the full version of the case of over 66 pages with the supplementary evidence, including video clips, were submitted to the prosecutor at about 3.00p.m on Thursday.

Secretary General, Documentation and Research, Northern Coalition for Democracy and Justice, Dr Ibrahim Baba, who addressed the news conference, insisted that Buhari must be prosecuted to serve as deterrent. The group will pursue the case until it reaches a logical conclusion, despite death threats from the supporters of Buhari, he added.

According to him, supplementary evidence would complement a previous ICC filing submitted by the NCDJ in May, 2011. The evidence had been submitted for forensic investigation.

Baba added that the group had overwhelming evidence to prosecute Buhari at the ICC for allegedly instigating the 2011 post-election violence that claimed the lives of about 800 people.

He said an international human rights lawyer, Professor Goran Sluiter, a partner at the Amsterdam law firm of Prakken d’Oliveira Human Rights Lawyers, was engaged to immediately commence the process of prosecution at the ICC.

Baba noted that since the Federal Government had not demonstrated political will to prosecute Buhari, the groups had to approach the court because Nigeria was a signatory to international laws.

Baba said dragging Buhari to ICC was not politically motivated as the case had been pending since 2011 “because we could not influence the case to be expeditiously dispensed.”

He said there was no need to keep silent to allow reoccurrence of similar violence in this election. He said categorically that the post-election violence in 2011 was not spontaneous but as a result of the inflammatory statements by Buhari.

“Based on the available evidence, there are compelling reasons to believe that crimes against humanity; including murder, torture, rape; forcible population transfer, persecution and other inhuman acts, were committed in the context of the politically-motivated sectarian violence that immediately followed the Nigerian presidential elections of April, 2011.

“Due to the seriousness of these crimes, the lack of adequate response by the Nigerian authorities, the prosecutor of the ICC will be asked to conduct investigations into the alleged acts and their perpetrators, in state, General Muhammadu Buhari.”

He said the evidence collected to date strongly suggested that the highly inflammatory public comments made by Buhari prior to, during and immediately following the elections led directly to the deaths of over 800 people and the displacement of more than 65,000 individuals in April, 2011.

Continue Reading
4 Comments

4 Comments

  1. ota tade

    February 6, 2015 at 1:44 pm

    Yes, time does not run against the state in criminal offences. Therefore Buhari can be properly charged and prosecuted for his genocide in 2011. He caused the murder of innocent souls in 2011. Let him face the music in 2015. That is rule of law for you. Nigerian presidency for him now is a lofty and elusive ambition.

  2. arinze uba

    February 6, 2015 at 2:49 pm

    Dear Brethren,

    A Pharoah will take us back to the land of Egypt, where we will become slaves again (apart from the few who will be his associates and collaborators), whilst all others will be whipped into order, slammed into jails without due process and will have to bow down to the Pharaoh. 

    The Pharaoh’s tribe and religion will be super-imposed upon all, as the born to rule superiority complex will override all other tribes and religion/s.

    Some slaves may want to go back to Egypt again, to be slave masters, as they see gains lording it over other slaves, but the majority of the other slaves want their own freedom and will rather take their destiny into their own hands, serving their own living GOD.

    A Moses is no Saint and has his faults, but like Moses, he is leading the slaves to cross the red sea and then take the slaves into their promised land, a desert, flowing with milk and honey.

    To be able to get to the promised land, the slaves have to first cross the red sea, and need Moses.

    However, we are at a cross road and need to decide between a Pharaoh who will take us back as slaves into the land of Egypt, or a Moses who will help the slaves cross the red sea, into the promised land.

    Spiritually, we all have to decide if we want Pharaoh and to go back as slaves to the land of Egypt, or we can chose Moses, who has his faults, but who is already taking us to cross the red sea and is trying to help us cross into the promised land.

  3. saint Passionate

    February 6, 2015 at 3:18 pm

    Goodluck Jonathan is the Moses here and the pharaoh is about to show himself
    which he will not sucide at all”!.

  4. domjay

    February 8, 2015 at 9:29 am

    buhari you must dance the macabre dance, bigot
    .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

BREAKING: Police Arrest Suspects As Explosion Rocks Wike Father’s Church

Published

on

BREAKING: Police Arrest Suspects As Explosion Rocks Wike Father’s Church

Nyesom Wike

An explosion has reportedly rocked a church belonging to the father of Rivers Governor, Nyesom Wike, in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

The Rivers State Police Command has however announced the arrest of three suspects who allegedly detonated explosives at a Pentecostal church, Christain Universal Church International, located at Mile 3, Diobu area of Port Harcourt.

Also Read: Buhari Will Set Nigeria On Fire If He Doesn’t Implement People’s Demands —Wike

The act was reportedly carried out on Saturday night and detonated the explosives suspected to be dynamite.

According to reports, a significant part of the church was damaged by the explosion, which created panic in the area.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Gunmen Abduct Wife Of Akeredolu’s Chief Of Staff

Published

on

 Gunmen Abduct Wife Of Akeredolu’s Chief Of Staff

Ondo on map

Kidnappers on Friday abducted the wife of Olugbenga Ale, Chief of Staff to Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu.

According to reports, she was kidnapped around Owena after the Joseph Ayo Babalola University while on her way back to Ondo from Lagos State.

Also Read: Unknown Gunmen Kill Ondo Traditional Ruler, Olufon Of Ifon

The police spokesman in the state, ASP Tee-Leo Ikoro, confirmed the news to Channels Television on Friday.

This development is coming about twenty-four hours after a first-class traditional ruler in Ondo State, the Olufon of Ifon in Ose local government, Oba Isreal Adeusi, was murdered by suspected kidnappers.

 

Continue Reading

Tech News

TECNO Stormed Computer Village with BBNaija’s OZO to Wrap up its Black Friday Sales Activities

Published

on

The month of November is always known for its intense sales activities because the best deals of the year come
during the Black Friday Period. For TECNO, Africa Number One mobile brand, it was the time to reward its
customers with massive discounts and various gift items while also unveiling some of its new devices.

The brand in collaboration with SLOT stormed computer village as part of the events to wrap up its black Friday
sale activities, hosted BBNaija’s Ozoemena Chukwu to a hangout at SLOT Ikeja.

Fans and customers had a fun time interacting with the handsome celebrity while enjoying discount offers on
TECNO devices. Different deals and gift items were up for grabs as customers who made purchases at the store
enjoyed 50% discounts on Spark 5, Camon 16 Series and 100% cashback on the Spark 5 Pro.

The major highlight of the event was the presentation prizes to lucky winners. Customers who participated in
the spin the wheel game won gifts items such as Bluetooth Speaker; Power Bank and kettle while those who
participated in the Scratch and Win Promo won for themselves different deals ranging from 50% to 100%
cashback.

TECNO also introduced two latest devices-the Spark GO 2020-powered by Google Android 10 Go Edition and a
TECNO POVA. POVA means ‘Powering Optimal Value and Ambitions’ is a rebrand of the popular battery series
formerly known as Pouvoir was inspired by the zeal to deliver budget-friendly smartphones with superior
gaming experience.

The first of its kind 6.8-inch TECNO POVA, is powered by Mediatek Helio G80 octa-core processor and hyper-
engine game technology that transforms gameplay experience giving ultimate stability and a high refresh rate.
Additionally, users will benefit from the “Game Space,” “Game Mode,” and “Game Assistant 2.0” features,
allowing them to switch to the “do not disturb” function, a much-anticipated experience all gamers will
absolutely enjoy.

The TECNO POVA is also equipped with a power-packed multitasking effect ramped up by 6GB RAM and 128GB
of internal memory. The device also has a 6000mAh super big battery, 18W Dual IC Flash charger, a standby
time of 30 days and the ability to play music for 8 days straight, on just a single charge. It’s the perfect
smartphone offering a way to worry less about low battery.

The new devices are available for purchase this November and for the rest of November, customers will enjoy
amazing discounts, instant and mega prizes on TECNO devices.

Continue Reading

Trending