Connect with us

Metro News

Over 30 Killed In Boko Haram Raids Near Chibok

Published

on

Boko HaramAt least 30 people were killed in Boko Haram raids on two villages in northeast Nigerian Borno state near the town of Chibok, a community leader and resident told AFP on Friday.

The attacks on Thursday targeted the villages of Thlaimakalama and Gatamarwa, which were torched by the rampaging militants, said Pogo Bitrus, head of the Chibok Elders Forum.

“From information coming in from residents of the two villages at least 30 people were killed in the attacks”, he added.

Luka Haruna, who lives in Chibok, some 15 kilometres (nine miles) away, gave an identical death toll and added: “The two villages were completely destroyed”.

Chibok gained notoriety last April when Boko Haram fighters kidnapped 276 schoolgirls, causing global outrage and a social media campaign to release them.

Fifty-seven managed to escape but 10 months on, 219 are still being held.

Bitrus said the latest attacks happened about noon (1100 GMT) on Thursday.

The insurgents were passing through the two neighbouring villages as they fled the nearby town of Askira Uba, which they invaded on Monday evening, he added.

Hundreds of Boko Haram fighters stormed Askira Uba, burning homes and public buildings, despite a regional campaign to crush their six-year insurgency.

Residents who fled the town said they appealed to troops based in Chibok some 25 kilometres away but they allegedly refused to deploy.

The militants fled when soldiers were eventually sent. Some left towards Gwoza, on the border with Cameroon, and the Sambisa Forest, where Boko Haram has camps.

Boko Haram seized Gwoza in June last year ‎and later declared it a part of their Islamic caliphate. The town is considered to be the group’s headquarters.

Nigeria’s military said on Thursday that fighter jets had bombarded Sambisa Forest after Chad, which is involved in the regional fight-back, attacked the nearby town of Dikwa.

Bitrus said: “The insurgents mowed everything in sight as they fled Askira Uba and these two villages which they passed through became targets.

“They opened fire on residents and set houses on fire as they drove in a huge convoy”.

AFP

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending