Connect with us

News Feed

Navy Warship Arrives Nigeria From China

Published

on

image

The Nigerian Navy (NN) fleet friday received a boost with the arrival of the newly acquired warship, Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Centenary F91, stealth Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV).

The vessel which was constructed by China Shipbuilding and Offshore International Limited Shipyard, berthed at the NN dockyard, Victoria Island, Lagos and was received by the Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS), Vice Admiral Usman Jibrin.

The OPV after its commissioning would be deployed alongside the other newly acquired vessel from United States, NNS Okpabana, to tackle the menace of maritime illegalities that bedevil the nation’s maritime domain.

The vessel set sail from the China in December and was brought back to Nigerian waters by the Commanding Officer, Captain Donald Okeiyi with his crew.

At the reception were the Flag Officers Commanding, Western Naval Command and Naval Training Command, Rear Admirals JKZ Ango and BA Egbedina.

Others are the Chief of Transformation, Rear Admiral Ilesanmi Alade as well as Rear Admiral Goddy Anyakpele, among other senior naval officers.

While receiving the vessel, Vice Admiral Usman Jibrin, said the addition to the fleet would boost the navy’s war against maritime crimes within the maritime domain like illegal fishing, arms proliferation, crude oil theft, smuggling and piracy.

He said, “The addition of the offshore patrol vessel to the NN fleet would definitely enhance the navy’s capacity to execute her constitutional roles and open a new vista in Nigeria-China relations.

“Effective security is a pre-requisite for the economic wellbeing of Nigeria in view of the country’s heavy dependence on the sea.
“I am glad to acknowledge that President Goodluck Jonathan recognises this imperative and has given unprecedented support to the fleet recapitalisation pillar of the NN transformation plan for the period 2010-2020.

“The arrival of NNS Centenary in Nigeria bears testimony to the commitment and resolve of the president to emplace a strong and virile navy capable of protecting Nigeria’s maritime interests against all forms of threats.”

He also disclosed that the newly arrived vessel was merely one of the two OPV acquired from China for the navy, adding that the second one would arrive Nigeria later in the year.

Jibrin said a substantial part of the finishing and fittings for the second vessel would be done in Nigeria, in order to enhance Nigeria’s indigenous shipbuilding capacity and create jobs for the unemployed youths.
Also speaking, the Consul General of the Republic of China, Kan Liu who was representing the ambassador said Nigeria and China had always had a cordial relationship.

He said that relationship has helped bolster the trade volume between both countries especially last year to the tune of 18.1billion dollars.

He said, “We have had very close relationship with Nigeria and deeper cooperation in various fields including military cooperation and we both benefit from the relationship.”

The arrival of Centenary has brought the number of vessels acquired for the NN to two, including OKPABANA, which was gotten from the United States government.

Source: Thisday

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

Tinubu finally speaks on Lekki shooting, tells Buhari to find culprits

Published

on

Tinubu finally speaks on Lekki shooting, tells Buhari to find culprits

Former Governor of Lagos state and the All Progressives Congress (APC) Chieftain, Bola Ahmed Tinubu has commented on the Lekki toll gate shooting that left many dead and several others injured.

The Lagos politician who was interviewed via telephone by a Channels TV reporter, Olu Philips, shared his shock over the shooting and also revealed that he is ready to complain to the highest authorities.

Contrary to people’s predictions, Tinubu however denied ordering the shooting and also stated that he can only control his security guard. He again reiterated that he will never be part of any group that uses live ammunition against protesters.

Insisting that he has always been an activist, the APC Chieftain expressed sympathy for the victims of the incident and advised the federal government to “fish out whoever gave the order (for the shooting) and put them on trial”.

He then recalled how he was falsely accused of being behind #EndSARS protests. Tinubu who noted that he doesn’t believe that Buhari ordered the shooting, appealed for calm over the incident. He also denied having a stake in the Lekki toll gate or suffering a loss due to the continous blockage of the area by #EndSARS protesters.

He said,

“It is early hours of the morning, there’s no way I can talk to the authorities or wake them up now. I have tried to reach the NSA, I have tried to reach the head of the army.

“You don’t call the president at this hour, but I strongly condemn the act. There are other means of settling or dispersing protest. Why would they use live bullets? There are rubber bullets.

“I am not even sure yet they are Nigerian army, I am not sure how well the uniforms of the army are controlled. But that is not as critical as the bloodshed that has occurred.

“We have lost our sleep, we have lost our peace of mind, (and) we just have to deal with it.”

Continue Reading

News Feed

Buhari Will Come Up With Solutions In Few Hours -Major General Babagana Monguno

Published

on

Buhari Will Come Up With Solutions In Few Hours -Major General Babagana Monguno

It has been reported that the National Security, Major General Babagana Monguno (retd), on Thursday said the President Muhammadu Buhari, would come up with solutions to the ongoing violence erupting in parts of the country ”in the next few hours”.

Babagana Monguno Says Buhari Is Coming Up With Solutions

According to Punch, May Babagana did not disclose the solutions, he said they would communicate to parties concerned.

Mongunu revealed this in an interview with State House correspondents at the end of a meeting of the National Security presided over the President.

The NSA also did not disclose whether the President will announce the solutions through a national broadcast.

He said,

“The President himself, I have just left his office, is also going to deal with these issues in a specific manner apart from what has just taken place in council.

I believe in the next couple of hours, Mr President will come up with certain solutions that will be agreeable to the entire federation.”

Continue Reading

News Feed

Another Warehouse Loaded With COVID-19 Palliative Allegedly Uncovered In Lagos

Published

on

Another Warehouse Loaded With COVID-19 Palliative Allegedly Uncovered In Lagos

Lagos State residents have again uncovered another warehouse where COVID-19 palliatives are been stored.

The palliatives discovered on Thursday (today), October 22, were meant for residents of Festac-Okota but were secretly stored in the warehouse.

According to reports, at least four people have died at the warehouse due to the hundreds of people that gathered to cart away the food items which include rice, beans, yams, and others.

However, the individual or group of persons who stored up the food items believed to have been provisioned by the government to share for the masses to cushion the effect of COVID-19 are yet to be known as at the time this report is given.

The angry youths and some old-aged citizens in the area gain entrance into the warehouse with force and do away with food items of their choices.

See video below;

Continue Reading

Trending