Connect with us

Politics

Maku Again Denies Accusing Jonathan Of Sponsoring Boko Haram

Published

on

Labaran MakuThe immediate past Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, on Tuesday denied reports that he accused President Jonathan of being the sponsor of Boko Haram.

Mr. Maku, who addressed journalists in Abuja,​ said the reports were false and an attempt to discredit Mr. Jonathan by using his ardent supporters to make the falsehood look believable.

He said his campaign organisation had long refuted the publication.

He added that he had to address the press as the issue was still being mischievously peddled by some media platforms.

“As you are all aware, we are in the heat of politicking for the election of the next president and there has been a desperate attempt by the enemies of the president to slander him”, he said.​

“Two weeks ago, I saw an image in the media, purportedly quoting me to have accused President Jonathan of being the sponsor of Boko Haram”.

Mr. Maku expressed regret that despite ​the denial by of his campaign organisation, some media platforms still went ahead to quote him as saying that he regretted working with President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration.

He said he remained an ardent supporter of Mr. Jonathan and his transformation agenda, and believed that the president is the best candidate.

“As a journalist, I find these reports very reprehensible, slanderous and completely unprofessional.

“What is going on is beyond mischief, it is absolute desperation by the enemies of the president to pull him down using my name.

“I therefore want to make it very clear here that at no time in my life have I ever associated the president with the sponsorship of terrorism; it is absolute fiction.

“This is designed by the opposition to quote one of the most ardent believers in President Jonathan as telling a story against him.

“I must say that I cannot come against a government I defended for four and half years; a government I believe in.

“I believe in President Jonathan; he is a misunderstood leader who has done so much for this country and is doing so much for the nation.

“Let me make it very clear that even under APGA, President Jonathan is still my presidential candidate and I am the one leading his campaign in Nasarawa S​tate.

“I remain his loyalist, I remain his supporter, I believe in him, I believe in the great job he has done for Nigeria.

“I want the world to know that I believe in this government and whatever we have done together; I remain an adherent”.

Mr. Maku said it was commendable that the president had achieved so much during his time in office in spite of the attacks and insurgency aimed at distracting him.

He urged the opposition to desist from unwarranted attacks on Jonathan, saying that if they must, they should use their own names not the names of his supporters.

The former minister called on owners of social media platforms to desist from publishing falsehood.

“I have issued statements through my campaign organisation to no avail, they continue to carry them.

“If they continue, then I will not hesitate to take further action against those who are spreading this fiction against the President”, he said.

Mr. Maku said that Jonathan’s re-election as Nigeria’s president was more important to him than his ambition to be governor of Nasarawa State. (NAN)

Politics

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP

Published

on

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP

Muhammadu Buhari

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has blasted President Muhammadu Buhari over his nationwide broadcast over the ongoing #EndSARS protest rocking the country.

Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.

He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Also Read: President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech – Full text

Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.

The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria

Published

on

PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria

PDP

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the killing of peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate, Lagos.

This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.

Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.

Also Read: Shehu Sani Condemns Shooting Of #EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate

“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.

“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.

“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Published

on

Gov Yahaya Bello
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Governor Bello

The Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello has declared his intention to lead the #EndSARS protest against police brutality ongoing nationwide.

He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.

Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.

Also Read: Fayemi Names Members Of Judicial Panel On Human Rights Violations By Police

He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.

The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.

He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.

https://twitter.com/jeffreyetuss/status/1318273749565739011?s=19

Continue Reading

Trending