The Nigerian state is heading for chaos, owing to the shoddy handling of the forthcoming general elections by the Peoples Democratic Party-led Federal Government.
A national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and former minister, Chief Audu Ogbeh, stated this in a press statement he released in Abuja Tuesday.
Noting that there were visible signs in the polity, Ogbeh called on Nigerians to reflect on the security issues raised by the military over the polls, saying there were more troubling reasons other than security.
The statement said: “Now, having said that, there is a need to reflect on the factors which influenced the change of dates. Suddenly, the National Security Adviser (NSA) made a statement in London, not in Nigeria.
“And immediately, the government of the day picked it up and decided that it should become a topic for discussion for the Council of State meeting. There is a saying that if the owl cries in the night and the baby dies in the morning, there is no need for an inquest.
“To follow it up, the Nigerian Security hierarchy which on February 2, 2015, assured Nigerians that they were ready for the elections turned around to say they were no longer able to guarantee security.
“What is more dangerous is a paragraph in their letter to the INEC which is reported to say that they are seeking six weeks extension in the first place.
“Does this not suggest that we should expect high level theatric manipulation as the six weeks get closer to convince us that another six weeks will be necessary? Isn’t this a ploy to ensure we enter May 29 without an election on grounds of nationwide instability?
“Doesn’t this give credence to the rumours, and indeed, the declaration in a rowdy press conference four days ago by Dr. Doyin Okupe that they have no intention of handing over to Gen. Buhari? Isn’t this leading to the strongly rumoured Interim National Government? It is time for all Nigerians to take heed that there are very stormy and dark clouds ahead?”
The APC chieftain stated further that the country has been reduced to children’s playground where individuals and groups presume that they can on their own do as they please with the lives and opinions of Nigerians.
He also decried what he described as the Federal Government’s total disregard for the Constitution and lack of respect for the over 170 million Nigerians.
“Anyone who holds this office (President) now thinks that on departure, he can name any prefect to replace him. And we the cowardly and pliant citizenry continue to grumble in our bedrooms, always looking for someone else to solve our problems.
“Today, Nigeria is the world’s laughing stock, losing our sovereignty to foreign troops, ravaged by incurable corruption, helpless in the face of an internal insurrection and unable to conduct even an election. And now, chaos is being cooked as the menu to be served Nigerians in 2015”, he stated.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- Entertainment4 hours ago
‘It’s Really Sad That Fashola Is Part Of The Pantomime’ – OAP Toolz Reacts To Camera Found At Tollgate
- National News14 hours ago
Lagos Govt Reviews Curfew Time
- National News14 hours ago
I Am Avoiding Debates Over Lekki Toll gate Incident Until All Facts Are Established – Buhari
- News Feed12 hours ago
Lady buys carton of indomie with COVID-19 sticker in Akwa Ibom
- Entertainment8 hours ago
Tara Durotoye Reveals The Extent Of Damage Done To Her Store By Hoodlums
- National News13 hours ago
Fashola Discovers Hidden Camera At Lekki Toll Gate
- News Feed20 hours ago
We need a new Nigeria: Actress Iyabo Ojo
- News Feed20 hours ago
Lekki Toll Gate: Journalist calls for the prosecution of DJ Switch