Two female suicide bombers have reportedly blew themselves up in a market close to where several people were killed in last week attack in Maiduguri, Borno State capital.
SaharaReporters said the suicide bombers, who hid the explosives in the back of their hijab dress, detonated it a hair braiding salon when they were accosted by a female member of the civilian JTF for a search.
Leadership reports that the explosions which occurred at about 11.20am may have killed many and injured several others.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Gideon Jubrin, confirmed the incident but it was too early to make casualty assessment:
“We all heard the explosions in town, but it will be too early now to say what actually happened and what damage was caused by the explosion until much later,” he said.
A witness, identified as Abba Ibrahim, who works as security guard at the government hospital near the market, said the blasts made many traders scamper to safety.
“Presently, we can see people running for their lives, so cannot confirm to you the extent of damage, but the two blasts we just heard were too loud that it could cause more damage than the ones of last week,” Ibrahim said.
Speaking also, a trader named Bala Dauda revealed to AP that security operatives and other aid workers are busy evacuating the dead and injured persons from the scene of the explosion.
“I can’t say how many were killed or injured but I have seen very many victims dripping with blood, others with parts of their bodies dismembered by the blasts,” he said.
According to Vanguard, it was two explosions that rocked a market in the city of Maiduguri on Monday.
A witness named Ahmad Sanusi said a middle-aged woman approached the site where chicken sellers attend to customers but vigilantes who stood nearby insisted on checking the luggage she was carrying.
“The woman refused, arguing that what she held were her wares. While the argument ensued, some people gathered at the scene and that was when she detonated the explosive,”he said.
However, it could not be immediately ascertained if the woman in Monday’s incident was a suicide bomber or if she was merely carrying explosives hidden in her luggage.
Another witness, Goni Abba, said the second explosion occurred seconds after the first one, adding that buildings were destroyed with some people dead as well as several injured.
Meanwhile, there was no immediate official confirmation of fatalities but the police, army and Red Cross were seen at the scene of the blast.
Another witness who spoke on condition of anonymity said: “I was at the Borno state television station, which is just opposite the Monday Market, to see a friend. I heard an explosion and we were told that it happened at the market. I’m now in his office because it’s not safe to venture outside.”
Borno state police command spokesman, Gideon Jibrin in a text message to AFP has revealed that no fewer than 10 people were killed in Monday’s attack while 32 others were wounded.
“Two female suicide bombers detonated an explosive in Monday market in two different locations killing more than 10, and injured many,” he said.
A witness, Goni Abba, who said he was at the scene also disclosed that he counted 10 dead bodies and over 20 others with injuries.
Meanwhile, suspected Boko Haram members last night attacked Shani, the headquarters of Shani Local Government Area in southern part of Borno State and reportedly opened fire on innocent citizens and set public buildings on fire.
Also, the sect members at about 6.30am attacked and killed scores of people in Damaturu, Yobe State, while residents of the town were forced to flee in fear for their lives.
It would be recalled that on Friday November 28, 2014, multiple bombs went off at the Central Mosque in Kano at about 2pm, as Muslims were having their Friday prayers resulting to the death of no fewer than 120 people.
However, a lot of reactions have trailed the Kano attack. President Goodluck Jonathan extended his heartfelt condolences to the people and the Government of Kano State over the heinous attack on the Central Mosque.
The Emir of Kano, Muhammed Sanusi II also condemned the attack when he paid a visit to the scene of the deadly bomb blast which left over 120 people dead.