The Senate has invited service chiefs to brief its members on the state of things in the country’s fight against Islamist sect Boko Haram, as the upper chamber of the House failed for the second time, to agree on whether the emergency rule placed on north eastern states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe should be extended, as requested by President Goodluck Jonathan.
The president had asked that emergency rule in the three states hardest hit by Boko Haram insurgency be extended by a further six months, to the chasgrin of many who believe the effect of past emergency rules were hardly felt.
Following a closed-door session that lasted about three hours, the Senate invited the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh, Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Kenneth Minimah, Chief of Naval Staff, Vice-Admiral Usman Jibrin, and Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adeola Amosu to appear before the lawmakers. Also invited, was Inspector-General of Police, Suleiman Abba, and Director-General, Directorate of State Security (DSS), Mr. Ekpeyong Ita.
Senate President, David Mark who presided over the plenary after the closed-door session said that the Senate had robust and extensive deliberations during the closed-door session on the request of the president. He said the deliberation will continue today once the service chiefs appear before the lawmakers.
While briefing newsmen yesterday, Chairman, Senate Committee on Information, Media and Public Affairs, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe said, “The Senate, on Wednesday, the 19th of November, went into another closed-door session to consider the request of Mr. President for an extension of the state of emergency in the three states that will elapse maybe, by tomorrow (today).
“And the discussion, as we had earlier said, was very frank, robust and sometimes, very acrimonious which is usual, in political discussions, and we agreed, as a Senate that the discussion will continue tomorrow (today).
“And also for the purposes of having further information, we invited the service chiefs to be available tomorrow (today) to also brief us on the efforts that have been on-going in the past six months when the emergency was declared.
“We have therefore adjourned till tomorrow (today) and we will also consider the information that we will also get from the service chiefs and the additional information that will be available to us from the governors of the states that are going to be contacted by the Senate President. We hope we will take a decision tomorrow in the interest of this country,” he said.
Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun
Some of the vehicles in the Governor’s convoy were also destroyed by the thugs but the Governor himself was evacuated to safety by his security team.
As the convoy was leaving the protest venue, some of the youths continued to stone his vehicles.
While the protest was disrupted, Governor Oyetola assured the injured victims that the government would be responsible for their medical bills.
#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Constitutes Panel Of Enquiry
In a bid to quell the #EndSARS protest which is spreading like a raging inferno across the country, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the Governor of Lagos State has set up a panel of inquiry and restitution for victims of SARS.
This was announced in a statewide broadcast on Thursday.
The panel will be a 7-man panel which will ensure that all those with verifiable cases of SARS brutality or fatality receive compensation.
The Panel will be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, while members are Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society), Taiwo Lakanu (a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police), Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society); Segun Awosanya aka Segalink (Human Rights Activist).
Others are Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens Mediation Center), a rep/member of the youth-led protest, and a representative of the Human Rights Commission.
There will be a help desk for the complaints and petitions to the panel.
Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother
Abigail Makinde, the mother of the governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, is dead.
The Chief Press Secretary to Mr Makinde, Taiwo Adisa, however, told newsmen that the family will soon make an official statement on the death of the deceased.
He said: “Yes. The family will make an official statement.
“The family will soon make an official statement. In the next few minutes, the family will make an official statement, in few minutes.”
It was gathered that Mr Makinde lost his father, Olatunbosun Makinde, a few years ago.
It was learnt that Mrs Makinde died in the early hours of Thursday.
She died at the age of 81.
- Entertainment14 hours ago
Regina Daniels Birthday: EVERYTHING You Need To Know
- Entertainment15 hours ago
‘My Landlady Chased Me Away And Started My Kind Of Business’ – Nkechi Blessing
- Politics18 hours ago
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
- National News14 hours ago
Sanwo-Olu Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Lagos
- News Feed15 hours ago
Pasuma Says He Was Not Chased Out Of #EndSARS Protest In Lagos (Video)
- News Feed17 hours ago
#EndSars: “I Was Paid N500 To Bring A Knife To The Protest Ground” – Man Confesses (VIDEO)
- National News19 hours ago
‘#EndSARS One Of The Most Successful Protest In Nigeria’: Lai Mohammed
- National News15 hours ago
Akwa Ibom Governor Constitutes Judicial Panel To Probe Police Brutality