Indications have emerged that the Federal Government is favourably disposed to extending the state of emergency declared in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States for a third time.
It would be recalled that the emergency rule was first declared in the affected states on May 14, 2013 by President Goodluck Jonathan, who cited the need to stop the Boko Haram sect once and for all, who at the time were having a free-reign of terror.
Since that first declaration of six months, the emergency rule had been extended twice.
The third batch of six-month emergency rule expires on Thursday, November 20.
In spite of the existing emergency rule in the affected states, which has seen massive deployment of troops and military hardware to the theatre of operations in the North-East, the Boko Haram insurgency has continued to defy military solution. This is not to say some modest level of success has not been achieved by the Nigerian security forces in collaboration with members of the Civilian Joint Task Force in curtailing the advancement of the terrorist organization.
The decision to extend the emergency rule for the third time was taken at a meeting of the National Defence Council presided over by President Jonathan on Monday.
Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Muhammed Adoke (SAN), who disclosed the council’s decision to State House correspondents, said having reviewed the emergency rule, the council resolved that the government should request the National Assembly to approve the extension.
Responding to a question as to when the request would be sent bearing in mind that the House of Representatives is currently on recess till next month, the minister said ‘immediately’.
“The council reviewed the issue of the state of emergency and the government will be requesting the National Assembly to extend the emergency rule. It (the communication) will go in immediately”, he said.
The Council, which is one of the federal executive bodies established by Section 135 of the nation’s Constitution, is empowered to advise the President on matters relating to the defence of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Nigeria.
Those who attended Monday’s meeting included the CDS, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh; COAS, Lt.-Gen. Kenneth Minimah; CNS, Vice Admiral Usman Jibrin; CAS, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu; Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Suleiman Abba; and the National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.).
Others were Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Pius Anyim; Minister of Defence, Gen. Aliyu Guasu (retd.); and the Minister of Interior, Mr. Aba Moro.
Ondo Election: Jegede Files Petition Against Akeredolu’s Victory
Jegede, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, filed a petition at the election petition tribunal sitting in Akure on Friday.
The PDP candidate has also joined the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), the All Progressives Congress, and the deputy governor-elect, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, in the petition.
Jegede is challenging the election on four grounds including “That the election was marred by irregularities and pockets of violence and intimidation”.
He also faulted the emergence of Governor Akeredolu as the candidate of the APC during its governorship primary election held on the 20th of July 2020.
AlphaBeta’s Collection Of $19m Monthly Revenue In Lagos Sacrilegious, Says Bode George
A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Chief Bode George has described the collection of internally generated revenue in Lagos state by a private firm called AlphaBeta, which earns around N7.5bn ($19 million) monthly as sacrilegious.
The former National Port Authority (NPA) called on the state government to block all forms of revenue leakages.
He made this known while speaking on Arise TV on Friday morning.
“There are so many leakages in the Lagos State Government purse. Take this AlphaBeta; who owns this AlphaBeta? What is the essence of the AlphaBeta? Where else in the world would you have an Inland Revenue Service, who have their own staff who are supposed to go out and collect the fees, but you have an independent company to be supposedly collecting the internally generated revenue from our state?
“It grosses around N50bn (about $130m) a month and you know how much that company (AlphaBeta) is paid 15% of it, that’s N7.5bn in thirty days going to the company, that is a leakage, that is sacrilegious.”
Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari
Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State has reinstated his Special Adviser on Social Media, Tanko Yakasai.
Yakasai on his Twitter account had accused Buhari of being insensitive to the plights of Nigerians during the #EndSARS protests across the nation.
The development saw Governor Ganduje suspend his aide who was commended by Nigerians for the courage.
Ganduje, however, has ordered the reinstatement of his aide two weeks after his suspension.
- Entertainment10 hours ago
‘You Have Forgotten Days Your Wife Was Feeding You’ – Georgina Onuoha Drags Desmond Elliot
- Special Reports14 hours ago
Ikeja Electricity Officials Caught In Prepaid Meter Fraud
- News Feed19 hours ago
Man dumps fiancee for using N20k to buy food stuffs while he gave her N40k
- News Feed18 hours ago
Woman detained for 6days for violating curfew in Lagos (Video)
- News Feed18 hours ago
Hours after jailbreak, Edo prisoner kills neighbour who testified against him in court
- Entertainment13 hours ago
Desmond Elliot Breaks Down In Tears On Live TV Following Backlash (Video)
- News Feed18 hours ago
Desmond Elliot Acting For His Political Godfathers: Reno Omokri
- National News13 hours ago
Buhari Congratulates Oba Of Lagos On His Birthday