Connect with us

Metro News

Boko Haram: Senate Says ‘Military Up To The Task’ After Over 5 Hours Meeting With Security Chiefs

Published

on

PHOTO CREDIT: NAIJA HEADLINES

PHOTO CREDIT: NAIJA HEADLINES

The Nigerian Senate on Tuesday again failed to approve President Goodluck Jonathan’s request for the extension of state of emergency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states even after meeting with service chiefs for over five hours.

Though the Senate said that the extension of emergency rule was not tabled for discussion in yesterday’s meeting with the service chiefs, lawmakers, however, stated that the military insisted on a state of emergency to effectively carry out the war against insurgency.

Recall that the Red Chamber had begun debate on the request for the extension of emergency rule last Tuesday and Wednesday before resolving to get a proper briefing from heads of all the security agencies in the country.

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen Kenneth Mininmah, Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosun and the director-general of Department of State Services, Ita Ekpeyong, were present at the meeting. The inspector general of Police (IGP), Abba Suleiman, was absent. His representative, a Deputy Inspector-General, Operations, DIG Sotonye Makama, was earlier sent out by the senators, who insisted that Mr. Suleiman appeared in person.

Speaking after the security briefing, Senate President David Mark described discussions during the meeting as “robust”, with the focus being on the challenges and progress made by the Nigerian Armed Forces in the fight against insurgency.

Mark, however, announced that the invasion of the National Assembly by police last week and related matters would be discussed today in an open session, and thereafter, mandated the Chairman, Senate Committee on Media and Publicity, Enyinnaya Abaribe, to brief journalists on the discussions held behind closed doors.

In his briefing, the senate spokesman said the interaction “was very, very frank and very detailed”, adding however, that Senate did not discuss the request of Mr President.

“We discussed the constraints of the Nigerian army in dealing with the insurgency. We also looked into the budgetary provision for them and what has been done so far in containing the insurgency and I can tell you the Senate was very, very impressed by the response from the military and, like I said, the military has shown itself to be capable of dealing with the insurgency.

“The fact that they are capable of dealing with the insurgency means that the Senate will do all it needs to within its power to support the military so that we can bring this insurgency to a quick resolution.

“We also found from their briefing that we have some problems which have to do with the troop levels and the level of equipment and, of course, all the other ancillary problems where you have to fight an asymmetrical war – not a formal conflict, and we are very glad that that the military is at this moment gearing up itself to be able to deal with this asymmetrical conflict in the north east of Nigeria. As of today, we can assure Nigerians that the military is up to the task of dealing with this matter”.

Sen. Abaribe, however, revealed that “the question of state of emergency was not what was on the table today (yesterday) and we are going to also wait until it is brought to the floor of the Senate before we discuss it”.

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Police Confirm Abduction Of Nasarawa APC Chairman

Published

on

Police Confirm Abduction Of Nasarawa APC Chairman

Police

The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Nasarawa State, Philip Shekwor, has been kidnapped by unknown gunmen.

According to reports, Shekwor was abducted on Saturday night at his residence along Dunamis church, Bukan Sidi in Lafia.

Also Read: Gunmen Attack Police Station In Ibadan; Kill Police Corporal

Confirming the incident, Police Commissioner Bola Longe said the unidentified gunmen in large number stormed the residence of the APC chairman in Lafia around 11 pm and took him away to an unknown destination.

According to him, security agencies had reacted swiftly by deploying personnel to different forest locations to ensure the safe release of the APC chieftain.

Continue Reading

Trending