Connect with us

World news

Protesters In Hong Kong Claim Your Grounds In The City

Published

on

hon

Protesters in Hong Kong have reoccupied the Mong Kok site, a key zone in the heart of the city, after police had cleared the area on Friday, sparking some of the most violent confrontations since the demonstrations began three weeks ago.

On Saturday, police used batons and pepper spray against protesters who were shielding themselves with umbrellas on the central district, but were forced into a partial retreat as the sun began to rise, to cheers from the crowd.

Hong Kong police said in a statement that they had made 26 arrests in scuffles with a crowd that had swelled to 9,000 people in the early hours, with 15 officers sustaining injuries in the clashes.

Activists rushed to rebuild makeshift barricades in an area police had opened to traffic 24 hours earlier, while thousands of others staged a sit-in at the protest camp that has existed for nearly three weeks, AFP news agency reported.

“The police have lost control of the situation. They’ve lost their minds,” said protester Peter Yuen.

“We’ve come here peacefully, to peacefully protest for our future.”

Earlier on Friday, officers had significantly reduced the size of the northern Mong Kok camp, the second largest after the main protest site opposite the government’s headquarters in central Hong Kong, in a swift dawn raid that saw no resistance from demonstrators.

Throughout Friday, demonstrators managed to hold on to one side of a multi-lane road where the camp had been located. Police then struggled to maintain order as crowds of pro-democracy supporters began to swell during the evening.

The Asian financial hub has been rocked for weeks by demonstrations, drawing tens of thousands of the city’s residents, calling for fully free elections and the resignation of the city’s leader Leung Chun-ying.

Protesters have held sit-ins at three major intersections causing significant disruption to a city usually known for its stability, and presenting Beijing with one of the most significant challenges to its authority since the 1989 Tiananmen protests.

China has insisted that whoever stands to replace Leung in 2017 elections must be vetted by a committee that is expected to be loyal to Beijing, a proposal protesters have dismissed as “fake democracy”.

World news

JUST IN: ECOWAS Lifts Sanctions On Mali

Published

on

ECOWAS countries
ECOWAS Countries

ECOWAS Countries

(more…)

Continue Reading

World news

US President, Donald Trump, Wife Test Positive For Covid-19

Published

on

Donald Trump and Melania
Donald Trump and Melania

Donald Trump and wife, Melania Trump

President of the United States, Donald Trump, and his wife, Melania Trump have both tested positive for COVID-19.

The President took to his official Twitter handle on Friday to make this announcement.

Trump was last seen in public on Thursday afternoon, returning to the White House after a fundraising trip to New Jersey.

Also Read: What I Told Trump When He Accused Me Of Killing Christians – Buhari

On Thursday, he announced that his aide, Hope Hicks tested positive for the virus which has killed over 1 million people around the world.

He further revealed that he and the first lady had taken the test and waiting for the results before announcing the outcome on Friday.

 

Continue Reading

World news

Mali: N’Daw, Coup Leader Goita Sworn In As President, VP

Published

on

President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita
President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita

President of Mali, N’Daw, coup leader, Goita

Retired Army Colonel, Bah N’Daw has been sworn in on Friday as the interim president of Mali and he is to head a transitional government following last month’s military coup in the country.

The swearing-in ceremony held in the country’s capital city of Bamako, where Colonel Assimi Goita, who led the military junta, was also sworn in as interim vice president.

This administration is to lead the government for a maximum of 18 months before organising national elections.

Also Read: Buhari Attends Virtual ECOWAS Extraordinary Summit Over Mali Crisis

It will be recalled that the country’s military executed a coup last month (August 18) which successfully removed the nation’s president, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita from office.

Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, attended the ceremony alongside other members of the ECOWAS mediation team.

Continue Reading

Trending