Connect with us

Metro News

Presidency Playing Politics With Chibok Girls’ Misery – APC

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has accused the presidency of manipulating the release of the abducted Chibok girls to boost its approval ratings and improve public opinion about him.

The opposition alleged in a statement released on Sunday, that whatever efforts the government was making to secure the girls’ release were being done in the best interest of the government itself.

National Publicity Secretary of the APC, Alhaji Lai Mohammed said in the statement that the federal seemed to have been assured that the girls would be released and therefore arranged an elaborate publicity event in New York while President Goodluck Jonathan was there for the UN General Assembly.

The event which several top notch international media had been invited for, according to the APC, was billed for the five-star Pierre Hotel in Manhattan, close to the UN Headquarters.

“Nigerians will remember that on 23 Sept., the military announced, on Twitter, the imminent release of the girls, only to retract the statement shortly thereafter. In the intervening period, thousands of ‘supporters’ of the President had gathered at the Pierre Hotel to welcome the President after the release of the girls, while media interviews had been booked for him,” said Mohammed in the statement.

He noted that an event of such class would have been seriously planned for and everyone expected there must have been given heads up on when to show up, which “was timed to also coincide with President Jonathan’s speech to the UN General Assembly on the following day – Sept. 24th – and to secure maximum advantage for the government.”

The statement noted however that the plan did not work out and it apparently hurt the presidency whose plan was to take full advantage of the moment.

The party therefore condemned what it called the shameless politicization of the plight of the Chibok girls.

“What should be paramount is securing the release of the girls as soon as possible, not securing their release to fit with a schedule that benefits Goodluck Jonathan politically. For the girls, their parents and indeed all good people of Nigeria, this abduction saga has been a nightmare. It is time for it to end,” the statement said.

It wondered why the government was now sending its cronies to negotiate with the Boko Haram to secure the release of the Chibok girls when its incompetence led to their abduction in the first place; more so, at the early stages of their abduction when there were calls for the government to negotiate their release, the government had not taken action.

The party however stated that “We believe the government should do whatever it takes to secure the safe release of the girls. We believe nothing is too much to do to get the girls back home safely and bring the much-needed relief to their parents and families. But we suspect the government’s sudden efforts, which is undoubtedly aimed at giving a boost to President Jonathan’s candidacy for next year’s presidential election.”

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Elite Forskolin Reviews

    September 28, 2014 at 7:09 pm

    Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog website?
    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I were a little bit familiar
    of this your broadcast provided bright transparent concept

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

Published

on

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun
Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

#EndSARS protesters in Osun

The Governor of Osun State, Gboyega Oyetola on Saturday, escaped an attack by thugs which happened while he was addressing #EndSARS protesters in Osogbo, the state capital.

Some of the vehicles in the Governor’s convoy were also destroyed by the thugs but the Governor himself was evacuated to safety by his security team.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Hold Enugu State Govt Responsible If Anything Happens To Us – Phyno, Kcee, Zoro

As the convoy was leaving the protest venue, some of the youths continued to stone his vehicles.

While the protest was disrupted, Governor Oyetola assured the injured victims that the government would be responsible for their medical bills.

Continue Reading

Metro News

#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Constitutes Panel Of Enquiry

Published

on

#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Constitutes Panel Of Enquiry
#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Forms Panel Of Enquiry

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

In a bid to quell the #EndSARS protest which is spreading like a raging inferno across the country, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the Governor of Lagos State has set up a panel of inquiry and restitution for victims of SARS.

This was announced in a statewide broadcast on Thursday.

The panel will be a 7-man panel which will ensure that all those with verifiable cases of SARS brutality or fatality receive compensation.

Also Read: BREAKING: EndSARS: Gov Sanwo-Olu reveals identities of policemen who harassed protesters

The Panel will be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, while members are Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society), Taiwo Lakanu (a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police), Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society); Segun Awosanya aka Segalink (Human Rights Activist).

Others are Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens Mediation Center), a rep/member of the youth-led protest, and a representative of the Human Rights Commission.

There will be a help desk for the complaints and petitions to the panel.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother

Published

on

Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother
Seyi Makinde

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde

Abigail Makinde, the mother of the governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, is dead.

The Chief Press Secretary to Mr Makinde, Taiwo Adisa, however, told newsmen that the family will soon make an official statement on the death of the deceased.

He said: “Yes. The family will make an official statement.

“The family will soon make an official statement. In the next few minutes, the family will make an official statement, in few minutes.”

It was gathered that Mr Makinde lost his father, Olatunbosun Makinde, a few years ago.

It was learnt that Mrs Makinde died in the early hours of Thursday.

She died at the age of 81.

Continue Reading

Trending