The Presidency has said that there are 8,000 groups now asking President Goodluck Jonathan to run for a second term in 2015.
The Special Adviser to the President on Political Matters, Prof. Rufai Alkali, disclosed this on Monday when the special committee set up to restructure the Goodluck Support Group chaired by Gen. Adamu Ibrahim (retd.), submitted its report to him.
Alkali said, “The preliminary observation from the report of the team is that contrary to our earlier position that there were about 3,000 groups rooting for Mr. President, we now have more than 7,000 support groups nationwide all calling on President Jonathan to declare for the Presidential race.
“Indeed, initially we printed 5,000 forms that were distributed to the NGOs and other Support Groups but the forms soon ran out and we had to print additional 2,000.
“As I am speaking to you now we have at least another 1,000 groups demanding to be screened”.
Alkali added that “with the report of the Screening and Evaluation Committee now submitted to us we are going to the next level, that is to say, we shall undertake content analysis of the reports with a view to properly positioning the various support groups for the challenges of the 2015 general election.
“We want to assure every support group irrespective of their sizes, from two-man group to 20 million-man group that they are all important to us and we shall carry them along”.
The political adviser, however, appealed to the group to start the “process of stepping down the structure and operations of their organisations to the Zonal, State, Local Government Areas up to the Ward level.
“They should mobilise men, women and youths for the great task ahead”.
Chairman of the committee, Ibrahim, said the president and the Peoples Democratic Party should expect a stiffer contest from the opposition in 2015.
Unlike 2011 when he said the opposition was not strong enough, he said times had changed.
He said, “We should expect a stiffer opposition in 2015 because the opposition is now strong unlike in what we had in 2011.
“The party and the Presidency should come up with a strategy that will ensure that the President is returned to power in 2015”.
The chairman promised that the group will work to ensure a landslide victory for President Jonathan in 2015.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- National News9 hours ago
#EndSARS: TVC Back On Air — Four Days After Mob Attack
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Ronke Oshodi Oke Cries Uncontrollably As She Regrets Campaigning For Buhari
- National News12 hours ago
Ben Ayade Declares 24-Hour Curfew In Cross River
- News Feed13 hours ago
Users can now mute WhatsApp chats forever
- National News11 hours ago
End SARS Protest: Abia Govt Relaxes Curfew
- News Feed12 hours ago
Buhari has ordered probe into Lekki shootings: Minister
- News Feed13 hours ago
Whoever carted away the staff of the Oba and his shoe should please return it — Shedu Sani
- National News12 hours ago
Rivers Govt Outlaws IPOB; Places N50m Bounty On Wanted Stanley Mgbere