Connect with us

Metro News

Boko Haram: Borno Residents Hail Military’s Recent Strings Of Success

Published

on

SOLDIERS ON GUARD ON POST OFFICE ROAD IN MAIDUGURI

SOLDIERS ON GUARD ON POST OFFICE ROAD IN MAIDUGURI

Some residents of Maiduguri, Borno, on Thursday commended the Nigerian military for its gallant efforts aimed at tackling the Boko Haram insurgency in the North-East region.

The inhabitants told the News Agency of Nigeria in Maiduguri that with the current tempo of military operation against the sect members they were optimistic that the insurgency would soon come to an end.

Alhaji Jubrin Gunda, a lawyer, said it was obvious that the Boko Haram insurgency would end in a very short time going by recent developments in the campaign.

“The Boko Haram insurgents are in disarray now, most of their leaders have either been captured or killed.

“The field fighters are in a confused state; they have been surrendering to the authorities with their weapons en masse.

“I belief that peace will return to Borno in a month’s time because the insurgency will die soon”, Gunda, who is also the Secretary of Borno Youths Vigilance group, known as Civilian JTF, said.

He commended the military for the renewed efforts in fighting the insurgents.

“Whatever happened in the past is gone. All what I know is that the military is ready to flush out the insurgents now and the efforts have been most successful”, he said.

He also expressed optimism that the military would flush out the remaining insurgents hiding in Bama, Gwoza and other areas.

“What is happening is that the insurgents are now getting fewer in number, even those staying in Bama or Gwoza do not stay in the night for fear of the military invasion.

“What they do is to appear in the day time and escape into their hiding places in the evening”, he said.

The lawyer said a number of insurgents had been trying to escape from Sambisa forest to other parts of the state.

“Even those arrested in Biu on Tuesday were just trying to escape from their den, following the death of their leaders.

“So many others are also on the run to avoid being captured”, he said.

Gunda said that most of the field fighters were running because they were forcefully recruited into the sect.

“Most of them are villagers who were forced into the sect by the leaders.

“Since the leaders have been killed or captured, the fighters have no option but to run”, Gunda said.

Malam Ayemu Ibrahim, another resident, corroborated Gunda’s claims, saying that the Boko Haram insurgency had crumbled.

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Nich

    September 28, 2014 at 1:27 am

    the north have been the greatest wasters of Nigerian resources ever. imagine money for development is meant for curbing insurgence

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending