Ahead of his formal declaration for a second term in office, President Goodluck Jonathan said Thursday he was “humbled and overwhelmed” by the decision of his party, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to endorse him as the sole candidate for the 2015 presidential election.
The president said he will not disappoint the party that trusted him well enough to offer the mandate, and promised to raise the bar of his performance if “re-elected”.
Mr. Jonathan was reacting to his endorsement by the party’s National Executive Committee, NEC, the governors and the Board of Trustees, between Wednesday and Thursday.
Rising from its 66th NEC meeting Thursday at Wadata Plaza, National Secretariat of the Party, the NEC, which is the party’s highest organ, explained that the move became imperative because no serious party would change a winning team like President Jonathan who has performed with his transformation agenda, which has changed the face and well-being of Nigerians.
Similarly, prior to the adoption of President Jonathan by NEC, the PDP Governors Forum, after a meeting held on Wednesday at the Akwa Ibom Governor’s Lodge, Asokoro, unanimously endorsed President Jonathan as the party’s sole candidate for next year’s election without any dissenting voice.
Speaking for the first time on the endorsements, President Jonathan said: “Let me really say that the events of yesterday, starting with BoT meeting last night and what has just happened today, with the various motions adopting me as sole candidate of the party has really humbled me.
“Let me specially thank our governors that initiated that action, let me thank members of BoT, let me thank the senate president and members of the National Assembly, let me appreciate the PDP women for their position and the NEC, because no matter whatever anybody does, if NEC, you will be on your own.
“Adopting me as the sole candidate of the party has humbled me; I am totally overwhelmed. When the governors came up in a jointly signed paper, though House of Representatives started it, governors intervention was like an atomic bomb, I commend all departments of the NEC.
“I am so overwhelmed that I lack words to express myslef. I leave it for another day. For today, for you to have that kind of confidence, I am extremely challenged. It means that whatever we had done in the past three years, we tripple it. That is the only way Nigerians will appreciate it. I promise I will not disappoint you”.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- Entertainment17 hours ago
‘It’s Really Sad That Fashola Is Part Of The Pantomime’ – OAP Toolz Reacts To Camera Found At Tollgate
- Entertainment21 hours ago
Tara Durotoye Reveals The Extent Of Damage Done To Her Store By Hoodlums
- Entertainment21 hours ago
#EndSARS: “I Swear On My Life, Our Fallen Soldiers Must Get Justice” – Rapper Falz (Video)
- National News20 hours ago
No State Hoarded COVID-19 Palliatives, NGF Insists
- Lifestyle20 hours ago
Actress Osas Ighodaro Celebrates Her 30th Birthday With Emotional Post
- Entertainment23 hours ago
“Love Doesn’t Exist In Nigeria, Everyone Now Belongs To The Streets” – Rapper Ycee
- National News20 hours ago
NASS Will Secure Justice For Police Brutality Victims, Ensure Five-Point Demands Are Implemented – Lawan
- Entertainment16 hours ago
‘We Will Win, Don’t Give Up’, Actress Stella Damasus Encourages Nigerians