At least 1.2 million Nigerians have signed a register calling on President Goodluck Jonathan to seek a second term in office, an official has said.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Pius Anyim, stated this on Saturday at a rally in Minna, the Niger State capital.
The rally was the North Central version of the zonal rallies being organised by the Transformation Ambassadors of Nigeria, TAN.
Mr. Anyim said the signatories cut across all the parties. He added that it was an affirmation of Nigerians’ appreciation of the present administration’s achievements.
“The states of the zone gave signatures to the President,” he said. “In Benue, we have 103,694; FCT 101,377; Kogi 100,948 and Kwara 101,060.”
“From this zone: Niger State, 300,767; Nasarawa 100,429; and Plateau 308,610.
“By September 30, during the grand finale of this rally, we shall have a greater number of signatures”, he added.
Mr. Anyim said the call by some Nigerians on the president to contest the 2015 election was based on records of achievements.
He said all aspects of lives of Nigeria had been positively touched by the administration, adding that more were in the offing by 2015.
In his remarks, Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger said the administration of Mr. Jonathan was a wakeup call to all men of goodwill.
“Here is a man of destiny who rose from a humble background to the highest peak. It symbolises that one’s background cannot be a hindrance to achievements in life”, he said.
A platform on which some dignitaries sat collapsed during the rally injuring several people.
Mr. Aliyu described the collapse as a sacrifice necessary for success.
The injured were taken to hospitals while the rally continued.
The governor later visited the injured at the hospitals.