Connect with us

Politics

Jonathan Receives Final Confab Report Next Thursday

Published

on

confab-620x400The final report of the National Conference will be formally presented to President Goodluck Jonathan in Abuja next Thursday. This came as delegates unanimously adopted the contentious draft constitution 2014, which was later renamed: “Proposed amendments to the 1999 Constitution”.

The document had been the subject of intense power-play and discord between Northern and Southern delegates. However, following a meeting with leaders of the various zones on Wednesday night by the conference leadership led by Justice Idris Kutigi (retd), the northern delegates soft-pedalled on their opposition to the draft.

Thursday’s plenary session, which was the last, came to a peaceful close following a motion which was moved by the Lamido of Adamawa, Alhaji Muhammad Barkindo Aliyu Musdafa and seconded by Chief Mike Ahamba (SAN) for the winding up of the conference.

It would be recalled that the conference was inaugurated by President Jonathan on March 17 and had an initial duration of three months but was graciously extended.

Earlier, the motion for the adoption of the three amended volumes of the report was moved by former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Richard Akinjide (SAN), who described the assignment as memorable and humbling.

Chairman of the conference, Justice Kutigi, who was also elated, described the adoption of the reports and rounding off of the plenary as “a dream come true”.

He said that the formal report will be presented to the President next Thursday. He thanked leaders of various zones for brokering agreement that led to the unanimous adoption of the reports which had split the conference in the last three days.

The adoption of the final report was an anti-climax to the earlier prediction by some analysts that the conference would end up a failure.

Politics

#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Published

on

Gov Yahaya Bello
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Governor Bello

The Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello has declared his intention to lead the #EndSARS protest against police brutality ongoing nationwide.

He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.

Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.

Also Read: Fayemi Names Members Of Judicial Panel On Human Rights Violations By Police

He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.

The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.

He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.

https://twitter.com/jeffreyetuss/status/1318273749565739011?s=19

Continue Reading

Politics

#EndSARS: Protesters Rain Curses On Me: Femi Adesina

Published

on

Why Buhari has travelled to the UK again - Femi Adesina
#EndSARS: Protesters Rain Curses On Me – Buhari’s Aide, Adesina

Femi Adesina

Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina has revealed that he has been receiving curses from Nigerians through phone calls and text messages over a false report that he advised his principal to shun protesters.

Adesina stated in an article he wrote titled: “An Enemy of the People’ published on Thursday evening.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Nigerians Recount Their Horrible Ordeals In The Hands Of Thugs In Police Uniform

Adesina denied that he advised President Buhari for whatever reasons on the End SARS protesters, but said an online platform falsely accused him that he told Buhari to “ignore the protests and not give in to the demands of ‘Twitter warriors’.

He explained that his telephone numbers were posted on social media, thereby, making people reach out to him with curses.

Continue Reading

Politics

Sanwo-Olu Sends Condolence Message To Seyi Makinde Over Mother’s Death

Published

on

Governor Seyi Makinde confirms the killing of #EndSARS protester, Jimoh Isiaka in Ogbomosho, Oyo state
Sanwo-Olu Sends Condolence Message To Seyi Makinde Over Mother's Death

Seyi Makinde

Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has sent a condolence message to Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde over the passing away of his mother.

Recall that InformationNigeria earlier reported that Governor Makinde of Oyo State on Thursday lost his mother, Chief Abigail Makinde.

The governor’s mother passed on at age 81.

Also Read: Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother

Reacting to the news, Sanwo-Olu prayed for the dead and consoled the bereaved via his official Twitter handle on Thursday. He wrote:

“I commiserate with Governor @seyiamakinde on the passing to eternal glory of his dear mother, Mrs Abigail Makinde.

While I extend my condolences to the Makinde family, I pray that God grants them the grace and courage to bear the loss. May mama’s soul rest eternally.”

Continue Reading

Trending