Connect with us

Metro News

How Late Doctor Deliberately Kept Ebola Infection From Colleagues – Rivers Govt

Published

on

EbolaThe Rivers State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Samson Parker, says the late Dr. Samuel Enemou, who treated Olu Koye, a Nigerian diplomat with the Economic Community of West African States, was aware that the diplomat was infected with the deadly Ebola Virus Disease.

The commissioner stated this during a press conference in Port Harcourt, the state capital on Friday evening.

Parker said, “He had received the late Dr. Patrick Sawyer in Lagos. Upon developing the symptom, confided in a female colleague, called Lilian, who contacted the late Enemuo. It was after contact was established with Dr. Enemuo that Olu Koye flew to Port Harcourt to see him.

“To conceal his movement, Koye, who had been quarantined among other people for having primary contact with the late Dr. Sawyer, the Liberian-American who transmuted the Ebola virus into Nigeria, sneaked out of the isolation unit where he was being observed and took a flight to Port Harcourt and switched off his phone so that he could not be reached or traced should he answer a call”.

On arrival in Port Harcourt, the commissioner said Koye checked into Mandate Gardens, a local hotel in the Rumunokoro area of Obio/Akpor Local Government Area.

The hotel is in the same area where Dr. Enemuo’s private health facility, Sam Steel Clinic is located.

Parker added, “From what we have gathered so far, Dr. Enemuo, knowing that Koye was positive of the Ebola virus took some measures of precaution to protect himself while treating Koye.

“Knowing the enormity of what he was doing, Enemuo upon Koye’s departure for Lagos, poured bleach all over the room that Koye slept in order to sanitise the place”.

He said the deceased, after having developed the symptoms for Ebola, approached a colleague for treatment at Good Heart Hospital along Evo Road in G.R.A.

He said Enemuo did not tell his medical colleague the truth about his condition and merely told him that he had fever.

Parker said, “He lied. He did not tell the doctor that was treating him his full story. But the doctor, a nice and conscientious professional, suspected that Enemuo was either hiding something or was suffering from a strange ailment because he proved negative to malaria, fever and typhoid fever.

“To be sure of what he was doing, he spoke to other very experienced doctors about the strange case he was handling in his hospital”.

Dr. Parker pointed out that the doctor treating Enemuo even invited some his colleagues to come over to his hospital to study Enemuo’s medical history but most of them declined because the news of the Ebola virus was everywhere.

Consequently, Enemuo’s condition continued to deteriorate until he died after which the corpse was deposited at the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital morgue.

The commissioner also declared that the advent of the dreaded Ebola virus in the state was currently posing a challenge, saying the development was tantamount to a war-time situation.

Parker, however, disclosed that the Rivers State governor, Mr. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, had pledged to provide funds to enable the state to procure all relevant materials as well as the services of medical experts from Nigeria and abroad to contain the virus.

He also said 60 more people who had secondary contacts with Koye were quarantined last night, bringing the total so far to 100.

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. AfterEffet.com

    August 30, 2014 at 10:16 pm

    The Health Commissioner is telling lies our ‘Niger Delta Press Team’ are still investigating this news and you all will be shocked about the truth as they believed there is politics behind this Ebola Story in Port Harcourt. For they believe that there is no Ebola in Port Harcourt. AfterEffet.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending