Connect with us

Metro News

Economy: Jonathan’s Administration Reminiscent Of Abacha Era – Obasanjo

Published

on

Former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo says the current administration led by President Goodluck Jonathan is reminiscent of the days of the late dictator, General Sani Abacha where the middle class was non-existent.

Obasanjo said the prevailing economic situation in the country has shown clearly that the middle-class had been destroyed.

The former President stated this over the weekend when a group of traders visited him at his Hilltop home in Abeokuta.

Obasanjo, who disclosed that he received a text message which he said shocked him, as a middle class Nigerian requested for financial assistance from him.

“We will keep going and we will survive this though time. I told him we have experience this period in time of Abacha, all the middle class were completely destroyed.

“I was surprised the day a colonel in the Army came to me complaining that he and his family could not afford to buy a car. A friend of mine, Dr. Okoro, a Medical Doctor, his wife, also a Medical Doctor and their daughter, who is also a Medical Doctor, between the three of them, they could not afford a new car, they had to go to Saudi Arabia, but, I pray we will not have such a time in Nigeria.

“We have to be at alert, to be forewarned is to be forearmed, if we will get ourselves out of the immorals we find ourselves in, it has to be done by each and everyone of us. We all have contribution to make and should not leave our responsibility on other for us to do. If we fail to participate in things that are meaningfully positive for this country, you will be a victim and we all become victims.

“As for me, we don’t know where we are going yet, may God Show us the way, the way that will take this country and make it a great country, and when, for me ooo, I understand and I see the way, I will tell you, I pray that God will show me the way, may God show you the way,” Obasanjo said.

The National President of the Nigerian Market/Traders Council, Osho, who led members of the association on the visit said it was meant to get the direction of the former president on the 2015 election.

She said the council had tremendous support of the former President during his eight year rule “as such, we deem it necessary and as a mark of respect to come and find out on which direction we are going.”

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending