Connect with us

Metro News

2015 Polls: Nigeria Requires 500,000 Policemen – IGP

Published

on

Suleiman-AbbaThe acting inspector-general of police, IGP Suleiman Abba, has said that the federal government has approved the recruitment of 10,000 Nigerians into the force nationwide.

IGP Abba, who made this disclosure yesterday during his visit to the LEADERSHIP Group headquarters, publishers of Leadership Newspaper, however, said he wished the figure could be increased to 500,000, stressing that the present figure was inadequate.

“I chaired the 2015 election planning committee and I made a recommendation therein, that we should have a certain number of policemen recruited ahead of the election. And we came in and found out that government had approved 10,000 more to be recruited.

“As I speak to you, the funds are getting close into our own hand and the recruitment will begin. So, we are making effort to reach the required number. We wish we could get up to 500,000 but, then, remember that we are not doing it alone. There are other services and the other services are helping us”, he said.

The police chief, who promised violent criminals hard times, disclosed that arrangements were in top gear to resuscitate the Police E-department, an intelligence arm of the force which was carved out of the police during a re-organisation.

“You would have witnessed what happened to the intelligence department of the police. We used to have a very, very effective intelligence department of the police. They call it the E-department. And you all know what happened. In a reorganisation, it was carved out of the police. Since then the police force has been struggling to establish that department”, he said.

The acting IGP urged Nigerians to cultivate the habit of having in their possession, emergency numbers of the control rooms of the police command in their locality, or the telephone numbers of operatives in police stations in their neighborhood.

Reacting to the reports of inadequate funding of the police, Abba noted that though funding for the police was an issue, it was incorrect to say only about 25 per cent of the budgeted funds gets to the police.

 

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Emmanuel Ofem

    August 28, 2014 at 2:21 pm

    I must say thank you to the acting inspector general of police for having the love of his fstherland in trying to release the awaited recruitment of police to fight crime commiters .may God give you more wisdom to serve your fatherland successfully Amen.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending