Connect with us

Metro News

Nigerian Media Giving Boko Haram Undeserved Attention, Says FG

Published

on

A newspaper with its headline on an abduction of women is displayed in LagosMinister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku, on Wednesday took out the federal government’s frustration over the mindless killings in the country by the Boko Haram insurgents on the Nigerian media, alleging that the wide media coverage accorded the insurgents had been responsible for the escalating rate of their activities.

The minister, who stated this while State House correspondents at the end of the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC), said the copious attention being given to the exploits of the sect in parts of the country was all the motivation they needed to unleash terror on innocent citizens.

Maku, who spoke while fielding questions from State House correspondents, explained that terror groups all over the world thrive most where they get maximum media reportage of their activities, as the objective was to destabilise the polity as well as bask in their gory activities.

He said, “Editors are just too happy to make headline of the terrorists bomb explosion, forgetting that the more you give them headline the more they are energized because that is all they need to remain in business. If you black them out of the news for six months, they will feel frustrated.

“But as it is now, our media are fond of casting political headlines, attacking the government. They make it look as if it is the terrorists that deserved all the attention, when it is obvious that we are not dealing with enemies on one side. The enemies are with us”,

Noting that journalists in the country were yet to fully grasp the tactics used in guerrilla warfare, Maku noted that such war was often being lubricated by the hype being created through newspaper headlines and commentaries.

He lamented that what the media has succeeded in doing so far is to continue to blame government instead of joining hands with government to condemn and fight the terrorists.

Metro News

Unknown Gunmen Kill Ondo Traditional Ruler, Olufon Of Ifon

Published

on

Unknown Gunmen Kill Ondo Traditional Ruler, Olufon Of Ifon

Olufon of Ifon

Oba Adegoke Adeusi, the Olufon of Ifon under Ose Local Government Area Ondo State, has been murdered by unknown gunmen suspected to be bandits.

Oba Adeusi was reportedly killed on Thursday evening at a spot around the Elegbeka axis of the town.

According to reports, the monarch was initially kidnapped before he was eventually killed.

Also Read: Shehu Sani Raises Alarm As Bandits Allegedly Kidnap Scores On Kaduna-Abuja Road

The monarch reportedly died at the Federal Medical Centre in Owo, as a result of gunshots he sustained during the attack.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Tee Leo-Ikoro, confirmed the incident to Channels Television.

Describing the event as an unfortunate one, the Police spokesman in the state also revealed that two people in the monarch’s convoy were kidnapped.

Continue Reading

Metro News

No Pardon For Rapists, Says Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

No Pardon For Rapists, Says Sanwo-Olu

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has expressed that there is no pardon for people indicted in reported cases of rape and gender-based violence.

The governor made this remark on Thursday when he received a 54-page compendium on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence compiled by the Stakeholders’ Committee set up by this wife, Dr. Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu.

The Committee was set up to give recommendations on how the fight against sexual and gender-based violence can be won.

Speaking at the occasion, Sanwo-Olu, restated his commitment to protecting the vulnerable demographics and getting justice for victims violated.

Also Read: Don’t Allow Conspiracy Theorists Undermine Lagos Security, Sanwo-Olu Tells Residents

The governor said, “I am delighted by the work done by the Stakeholders’ Committee to bring attention to the problems facing voiceless adults and children in our society. Through your efforts, vulnerable people are building the courage to speak out on offences of sexual violence and heal their wounds.

“We will bring people, who have been perpetrating these crimes, knowingly or unknowingly, to book. We will ensure they never walk freely without the full wrath of the law brought upon them. It is part of our responsibility to ensure that the vulnerable members of our society have a voice and have access to where they can get justice when their rights are violated.”

Continue Reading

Metro News

Vendor’s Widow Disowns Family Over N500m Lawsuit Against Gbajabiamila

Published

on

Vendor’s Widow Disowns Family Over N500m Lawsuit Against Gbajabiamila

Femi Gbajabiamila

Josephine Okereke, wife of the Abuja-based vendor killed by a security aide of Femi Gbajabiamila, speaker of the house of representatives, has rejected the family’s demand of N500 million compensation.

Okereke while speaking to newsmen on Thursday stated that what she wants is justice for her late husband, and not the compensation being sought by his family.

Recall that some days ago, Ifeanyi, her husband, was shot by Abdullahi Hassan, a Department of State Services (DSS) operative attached to the speaker.

Also Read: Family Of Slain Vendor Demands N500m Compensation From Gbajabiamila, Threatens Legal Action

Days after the Speaker promised to ensure justice, the family of the slain vendor wrote the speaker, demanding a N500 million compensation.

Okereke, however, told journalists in Abuja that she was not privy to the N500 million compensation requested by the family.

“I was in my house when within 10 minutes my father-in-law came from Abia, he went out along with his other son and the next day I heard that my husband’s people are demanding N500 million as compensation,” she said.

“I was shocked and asked how will they be doing that and how will the speaker help the children again with such demand. All I want now is that the person that killed my husband to face justice.”

Continue Reading

Trending