Connect with us

Entertainment

NFVCB Approves Screening Of ‘Half Of A Yellow Sun’

Published

on

National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB) has approved the release of “Half of a Yellow Sun”, a movie on civil war, after more than two months delay as the board said screening the movie in Nigeria could disrupt peace in the tension-filled country. The producers have now agreed to edit certain scenes.

The film, based on the best-selling novel of the same name and starring Oscar-nominated British actor Chiwetel Ejiofor, is about the 1967-1970 Biafra War which killed more than a million people, many from starvation.

Screening had already started in Britain and the United States, with the film’s release set for April, but hours before its first scheduled public screening, the NFVCB blocked the release citing “regulatory issues”.

Writing for the New Yorker magazine’s website in May, the novel’s author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie said the authorities were concerned about a scene in the film adaptation depicting the massacre of Christians from the Igbo ethnic group by Muslim Hausa tribesman at a northern Nigeria airport.

The southeast, which is dominated by Igbos, cited such massacres as a key reason for their region’s unilateral declaration of independence, a move that sparked the civil war.

The NVFCB has never clearly spelt out its opposition to the film, but the regulator said in a statement on Friday that “Half of a Yellow Sun” had been approved for release.

Censors board spokesman Caesar Kagho told AFP he could not go into detail about what was removed from the film and why.

Kene Mkparu of Filmhouse Cinemas, which is distributing the film in Nigeria, told AFP changes were made from the version shown in the West, but declined to be specific.

“We didn’t have to change the essence of the film, but we complied with what they asked us to do,” he said.

Ejiofor, who was nominated for Best Actor at this year’s Academy Awards for his role in “12 Years a Slave”, which picked up Best Picture, stars opposite British actress Thandie Newton in “Half of a Yellow Sun”.

Entertainment

Mark Angel Reacts After He Was Almost Beaten Up By Angry EndSARS Protesters Who Accused Him Of Using Them For Comedy

Published

on

Mark Angel Reacts After He Was Almost Beaten Up By Angry #EndSARS Protesters Who Accused Him Of Using Them For Comedy
Mark Angel

Mark Angel

Popular Nigerian comedian, Mark Angel has come out to clear the air regarding a viral video of him being attacked by irate #EndSARS protesters in Port Harcourt.

In the video sighted on social media, the comedian was surrounded by angry men, who expressed their anger over his actions, as they accused him of trying to use them to shoot a comedy skit.

The comedian was also seen trying his possible best to calm them down.

 

In reaction to this, Mark Angel released a new video in which he shared his own side of the story.

Read Also: Mark Angel Acquires New Benz, Wants Good Paying Job

Watch the video below:

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘We Will Never Forget Lekki Massacre’ – Rapper M.I. Abaga

Published

on

'We Will Never Forget Lekki Massacre' - Rapper M.I. Abaga
Rapper M.I Abaga Launches Search For Man Who Approached His 15-Year-Old Niece

M.I Abaga

Nigerian rapper, Jude Abaga, popularly known as MI, has reacted to the massacre that took place at the #EndSARS protest ground at Lekki Tollgate. The rapper and entertainment entrepreneur took to his Twitter page to condemn the killing and state that the night will not be erased from history.

In his words:

“WE WILL NEVER FORGET THE NIGHT OUR GOVERNMENT KILLED US FOR ASKING THEM NOT TO KILL US #LekkiMassacre #EndSARS #CrimesAgainstHumanity”

Read AlsoVector, MI Abaga End Beef (Video)

The shooting of unarmed peaceful protesters by military officers on Tuesday, October 20, 2020 has received global attention with international political dignitaries and celebrities using their Twitter platforms to tweet regarding the incident.

See MI Abaga’s post below:

MI Abaga’s Twitter post

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Lekki Massacre Totally Unacceptable: Comedian Alibaba

Published

on

Lekki Massacre Totally Unacceptable: Comedian Alibaba
Alibaba

Alibaba

Nigerian comedian, Alibaba, has reacted to the shooting of unarmed protesters at Lekki Tollgate by military officers on Tuesday, October 20, 2020.

The veteran comedian cum actor and events compere took to his Instagram page to condemn the incident. Part of his post reads:

“The biggest mistake any democratically elected government can make, is to hand over its control to the military. Because in doing that, you have undermined the constitution, you have canceled the purpose of the National Assembly, made nonsense of the Supreme Court and confirmed that the Presidency cannot manage the country’s affairs.

Read AlsoComedian Alibaba Disowns Dino Melaye

By sending soldiers to the street, government is clearly, Planting that idea, without knowing it, that the ultimate leadership is in the hands of the soldiers.”

See his full post below:

The comedian’s post

Continue Reading

Trending