Connect with us

Metro News

Kidnapping: Rivers Police Begins Sensitization Campaign

Published

on

Tunde-Ogunsakin-600x330The Rivers State Po­lice Command has reiterated its resolve to put an end to kidnapping in the state as it launches a “Stop kidnap­ping” campaign on Friday (tomorrow).

The state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Tunde Ogun­sakin, disclosed this yesterday while briefing journalists in Port Harcourt.

Ogunsakin said the com­mand had reduced the rate of abduction in the state, adding that the number of rescued victims had been overwhelming. He, however, expressed sadness at reported cases of kidnap, stressing that the crime must be nipped in the bud.

“The number of arrest we made and the number of vic­tims we have even rescued were overwhelming. Kid­napping is too bad, we don’t want a situation where any­body would be kidnapped. That is why we want to sen­sitise the people that kidnap­ping should stop.

“We want to ensure that kidnapping is stopped in Rivers State. We are not happy with all these cases of kidnap. People should be able to do their work freely without any hindrance”, he said.

The police boss also ad­vised members of the pub­lic to be wary of those they employ as house helps, citing a particular incident where a house­boy arranged for the abduc­tion of his boss. He said after rescuing the victim and the boy’s account was examined, millions of naira were found.

He advised: “Before you employ a houseboy, check the background very well”, adding that most kidnap cas­es were successful because of insider information.

Ogunsakin said the command had put security mechanisms in place, including the provi­sion of a dedicated telephone number to police stations in the state.

He explained that the dedi­cated number was to ensure that distress calls were re­sponded to promptly by the police, before the criminals would leave the scene.

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending