Connect with us

Metro News

Confab: N/Delta Youths Might Take Up Arms If North Refuses 18% Derivation Fund – A/Ibom Delegates Warn

Published

on

DELEGATES DURING THE HEATED DEBATE ON THE CONTROVERSIAL REVENUE SHARING FORMULA AT THE NATIONAL CONFERENCE IN ABUJA THURSDAY

DELEGATES DURING THE HEATED DEBATE ON THE CONTROVERSIAL DERIVATION FUND AT THE NATIONAL CONFERENCE IN ABUJA THURSDAY

Ahead of the rounding-up of the ongoing National Conference in Abuja on Thursday, delegates from Akwa Ibom State have warned of a looming crisis should their northern counterparts frustrate efforts to adopt the 18 per cent derivation fund recommended by the Consensus Group for oil-producing states.

A statement issued on Sunday in Abuja by a former Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development, Chief Nduese Essien, on behalf of the delegates, warned that the series of existing agitations by youths of the region might degenerate to a full-blown war unless the current 13% derivation fund for the oil-producing states was jerked up.

The delegates said, “There is a strong possibility that the Niger Delta region agitation could again snowball into an orgy of violence if the logjam on derivation principle at the National Conference is not resolved on the basis of justice and fair play.

“Besides, recent attempts to resurrect the onshore/offshore dichotomy and to make political capital out of the issue have further heightened tension in oil- bearing communities that have witnessed persistent oil spills, gas flaring and constant devastation due to the oil drilling activities of the multinational oil companies.

“Based on comments attributed to people from a certain part of the country, it is pertinent to indicate that the people of Akwa Ibom State and indeed the Niger Delta region are disappointed by the posturing of people from a certain section of the country and would resist attempts by persons or groups to use the satanic policy to blackmail the region”.

The Akwa Ibom delegates quoted some sections of the constitution to back their argument.

They argued that Sections 134 and 140 of the 1960 and 1963 Constitutions respectively, which formed the groundwork for the country’s independence and nationhood, had provided that Nigeria’s continental shelf of 200 nautical miles be deemed to be part of a region for the purpose of paying 50 per cent derivation.

“The two constitutions had provided that for the purpose of derivation, a state that has a coast is deemed to be the owner of the continental shelf. But through Decree 9 of 1971, the then Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (retd.), had introduced the onshore/offshore dichotomy. From that time, the policy had been abolished three times. The first abolition took place in 1975, the second in 1979 and the third in 1992. It was, however, ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo who reintroduced the evil policy.

“Today, the dichotomy is still in place because the Abrogation Act of 2004 drastically reduced the constitutional provisions and the internationally recognised boundary definition of continental shelf from 200 nautical miles to 200 feet isobaths. What is used now is a mere measure of the low water mark of the land surface of a littoral state rather than the universally accepted measurement”, the statement added.

They said, “As delegates continue to procrastinate and disagree over the issue of derivation and other issues that are germane to the people of the state and indeed the region that has sustained the country’s economy for over five decades now, the Akwa Ibom State secretariat of the National Conference hereby draws attention to the rising tension and a possible backlash that may follow if the people of the region are shortchanged by the conference.

“While the bickering continues, youths from oil-bearing communities in Ibeno Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State have during the past two weeks occupied the operational base of ExxonMobil Unlimited at Quo Ibo Terminal, QIT and stopped the multinational oil firm from accessing its facilities. The youths are protesting against a recent oil-spill which devastated over 46 communities along the coastline in the state…

“In the spirit of the Ramadan, we appeal to our brothers in the North to sheathe their swords and allow justice and fair-play to prevail in the current debate on what should constitute the derivation formula, after all, what has been recommended by the eminent members of the Consensus Group also covers solid minerals and other resources found all over the country”, the delegates said.

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. frank

    July 14, 2014 at 6:43 pm

    U AR A DISAPOINTMENT. SO U AR COMFORTABLE WITH 18% SHAME ON THOSE OF U REPRESENTING D SOUTH. Y CANT U MAINTAIN TOTAL RESOURCE CONTROL? U STIL WANT D NORTHERNERS TO CONTINUE ENJOYING D WEALTH OF D SOUTH TO CONTINUE FUNDING BOKO HARAM? GO FOR TOTAL RESOURCE CONTROL LET D NORTH DEVELOPE THOSE HIDDEN MINERALS IN THEIR LAND FULSTOP.

  2. De proph emeka

    July 14, 2014 at 8:09 pm

    I wonder why u guys are disapointing us,did the ishmailites charms u people from claiming ur right or what?Anybody that knows he can not represent us should step aside for a better candidates instead of insulting us because anything less than total resurce control is unacceptable.

  3. Jay

    July 15, 2014 at 7:08 am

    These delegates from the have disappointed us. This is the ample opportunity to say NP to the injustice of the north. When will this kind of opportunity come again. It is a shame

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Amotekun: Oyo Releases List Of Successful Applicants

Published

on

Amotekun: Oyo Releases List Of Successful Applicants
Amotekun: Oyo releases list of successful applicants

Amotekun Operation vehicles

The Oyo State Government has released the list of successful applicants for Amotekun Corps in the State.

The process of documentation for successful applicants is billed to commence on Tuesday at the Emmanuel Alayande College of Education.

Also Read: Stop Giving Us Awards… Challenge Us So We Can Sit Up, Wike Tells Journalists

This was contained in a statement made available by the State Commandant of the Amotekun Corps, Colonel Olayinka Olayanju on Saturday.

He indicated that all candidates are to check their names at their various local government headquarters or online through the Oyo State job portal.

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Commiserates With Victims Of Bandit Attack

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Commiserates With Victims Of Bandit Attack
Zamfara Governor Commiserates With Victims Of Bandit Attack

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamfara State, Bello Matawalle has commiserated with families of victims of the attack on citizens of Gidan Goga community by armed bandits.

The Governor assured that what is happening in terms of banditry attacks is not a security lapse but a momentary hiccup that will not be allowed to last.

Also Read: Governor Lalong says Plateau lost N75 billion to looters

He said the attack further exposed the desperation of the bandits who are experiencing heavy pressure from the offensive launched by security operatives in recent times.

“I want to assure our law obedient citizens of Zamfara State that the experience we are undergoing will not last. The bandits are experiencing our sustained pressure which they have reacted through cowardly and desperate attacks on innocent citizens,” Matawalle observed.

Continue Reading

Tech News

First celebrity Limited Edition Smartphone in Sub Sahara Africa: Davido Special Edition of Infinix NOTE 8

Published

on

Over the last few weeks, Infinix has floated its candy before the eyes of tech enthusiast intensifying their craving for the soon to be released device. Through several social media posts, Infinix has hinted on the imminent release of the NOTE 8 and we all can’t wait for the device to hit the shelves.

Although the proposed date for the launch in its initial teaser videos and banners have passed without
any launch, we have reasons to believe that the launch will take place sometimes this month.

However, here’s a more interesting news. Infinix is set to be the first smart phone company in sub Sahara Africa to launch a limited edition device with a celebrity. A special edition of the NOTE 8 will be released alongside the primal version of the NOTE 8 and the NOTE 8i. The special edition is  signed by Infinix’s brand ambassador David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido.

The available stock for the special Davido-signed edition is limited. However, interested shoppers can
get one for themselves at exclusive SLOT outlets nationwide and on their website Here. Exciting free
gifts are also available if you’re among the lucky few to buy this device while stocks last.

The Infinix NOTE 8 is targeted at the mid-to-high-end market segment and it comes with several
interesting features. The device on-boards a super-fast processor – the MediaTek Helio G80
processor, which supports ultra-fast gaming speed, stable graphics in-game, easy multi-tasking as
well as an all-round optimal performance.

The device also sports six cameras in total. It comes with a dual selfie camera which is cut out from its
super-wide 6.95inches screen. On the back, the NOTE 8 crams a 64MP super night shot camera for
amazing night shot photographs and other photography needs.

Many of Infinix loyalists and smartphone enthusiasts are already clearing their carts and lining up in
preparation for the launch of the Infinix NOTE 8. Now that there’s a special Davido edition in sight, the
queue might just be doubling up.

To stay ahead of interested shoppers and ensure that you’re one of the first to get your hands on this
special edition of the NOTE 8, follow Infinix on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at @Infinixnigeria.

You can also join their community of young and vibrant fans on XClub via the app on your Infinix
device or click on this link to download the app if you’re a non Infinix user.

Continue Reading

Trending