A Sudanese nursing mother, whose death penalty for renouncing Islam was cancelled, has regained freedom after being detained at Khartoum airport during attempt to leave the country.
The lawyer Meriam Ibrahim, Muhannad Mustafa, confirmed this development to BBC reporters, said the mother of two and her family found refuge at the US embassy.
The 27-year-old woman had been in detention since June 24, 2014, Tuesday. The police arrested Meriam and her one-month-old baby at the airport, when she attempted to leave Sudan along with her husband, Daniel Wani, and their second child.
Meriam was accused of presenting false ID documents during her attempt to depart to the USA to see her family and relatives.
She was released from a jail in Khartoum on June 23, 2014, when an appeals court lifted her death sentence by hanging for renouncing Islam.
Meriam’s sentencing in May this year sparked an international and local outrage. The Sudanese authorities had to soften their stance because of the pressure from international sponsors (USA, UK).
According to Reuters, the woman was released on the condition that she remains in Sudan. Currently her future remains unclear.
The ‘apostasy’ woman was charged with forgery, as she attempted to leave the country using South Sudanese travel document. Sudanese officials say she should have used a Sudanese passport. The police have also accused her of providing false information.
The embassy of South Sudan in Khartoum insisted that emergency travel documents have not been falsified and were really issued by them on June 24, 2014, Tuesday.
The state the Suna news agency informed that Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs blasted South Sudan for granting travel documents to Meriam, despite their knowledge that she is a Sudanese national. The ministry has condemned the USA for trying to help the woman vacate Sudan in an illegal way.
It would be noted that Meriam’s case would be much more difficult to resolve, as the National Security Agency and Intelligence Authority of Sudan are now involved in the case.
#EndSARS: People take time out to curse me in their prayers– Aisha Yesufu Reveals
Nigerian activist, Aisha Yesufu, has revealed that Muslims now take out time to curse her in their prayers.
Information Nigeria recalls that Yesufu lead #EndSARS campaign against police brutality and reforms.
The female activist disclosed this on her Twitter handle.
”Heard I am being cursed in mosques! People finish praying and take time out to curse me in their prayers I have asked they should please let me know how many of these curses they rained on me when I was making same demands during GEJ! We are all already cursed in Nigeria”
Heard I am being cursed in mosques! People finish praying and take time out to curse me in their prayers
I have asked they should please let me know how many of these curses they rained on me when I was making same demands during GEJ!
We are all already cursed in Nigeria
— Aisha Yesufu (@AishaYesufu) October 30, 2020
Hoodlums loot Ndoma-Egba house in Calabar, cart away his late father’s robes
Hoodlums who destroyed and looted the residence of former leader of the Nigerian Senate, Victor Ndoma-Egba in Calabar reportedly carted away the Judge’s robes of the politicians’ father.
Reacting to the incidence, Ndoma-Egba appeared to the hoodlums to return the robes of his late father who was a judge.
Ben Ayade, governor of the state, had imposed a 24-hour curfew as part of measures to contain the situation but the mob broke loose.
In a statement, Ndoma-Egba narrated how he got intelligence on the attack but despite informing security agencies, “nothing was done to stop the attack”.
“At about 2 am (local time, as I was abroad) on Saturday 24th. October 2020 I received a text informing me that there were plans by arranged hoodlums to attack my residence in Calabar, that of Senator Gershom Bassey and a hotel owned by Senator John Owan Enor,” he said.
“I promptly forwarded the texts to Senators Bassey and Owan Enoh. I also called the security agencies in Calabar to apprise them of the information. Calabar from my information was already tense from the previous day’s break-in into warehouses storing COVID 19 palliatives and the subsequent breaching of shops and other businesses. The impending attack on Senators Bassey, Owan Enoh and I was already public knowledge as later that morning I got many calls to that effect.
“Thereafter I kept calling the security agencies by the hour when in spite of their assurances that they will secure my house there was no evidence of any security personnel in my vicinity. I understand, the times were indeed confounding for everybody.
“At about 2 pm the intruders broke into my house and looted it to the ground leaving only the bare floor. All the toilets, baths, pumps and indeed every imaginable fitting were removed as were items of furniture, clothing, a huge collection of mainly rare, out of print books, documents and historic photographs. They also removed all the windows, railings, family pictures and burglary proofs. Even my private chapel was not spared.
“They set the cars ablaze and parts of the building after more than four hours of interrupted operations in my house. It was methodical. Among the intruders were obviously electricians, plumbers, carpenters, motor mechanics, panel beaters and other tradesmen. Mercifully, no life was lost. I started building the house in 1991 and moved in in January, 2009.
“While not prejudging, and without prejudice to the work of the security agencies, I have forgiven the intruders, and pray fervently for them to find meaning, inner peace, and fulfilment in their lives. I only plead that they return my late father’s judges robes which they certainly would not be needed for anything and is surely incriminating.
“The destruction of my house was clearly premeditated, wanton and unjustifiable but I understand the anger in the land especially amongst our youths. However, if looting and burning my home will better their lives and bring positive change to our land, then it is a sacrifice my family and I gladly make.”
Ndoma-Egba said there is an urgent need to educate, motivate and engage the youth if they must be a blessing to the country.
Fan asks Kaisha to meet Erica for lessons on how to become a bad girl
Nigerian entrepreneur Kaisha Umaru who shot to fame after she appeared on Big Brother Nigeria 2020 has replied a fan who advised her to meet Erica for lessons on how to become a bad girl.
Kaisha Umaru, the 25-year-old entrepreneur from Sokoto State had taken to Twitter to ask her fans how she can become a bad girl. The ex housemate stated that she needs lessons, and her fans suggested different ways for her.
However, a particular fan advised her to meet her fellow reality TV star, Erica Nlewedim who was disqualified from the last season of the Big Brother reality show.
“Ask Erica she’ll give you lessons on how to be a good and bad girl”, Kheeks wrote.
Check out Kaisha’s reaction below;
- Entertainment10 hours ago
‘You Have Forgotten Days Your Wife Was Feeding You’ – Georgina Onuoha Drags Desmond Elliot
- Special Reports13 hours ago
Ikeja Electricity Officials Caught In Prepaid Meter Fraud
- News Feed18 hours ago
Man dumps fiancee for using N20k to buy food stuffs while he gave her N40k
- News Feed18 hours ago
Woman detained for 6days for violating curfew in Lagos (Video)
- News Feed18 hours ago
Hours after jailbreak, Edo prisoner kills neighbour who testified against him in court
- Entertainment13 hours ago
Desmond Elliot Breaks Down In Tears On Live TV Following Backlash (Video)
- News Feed18 hours ago
Desmond Elliot Acting For His Political Godfathers: Reno Omokri
- National News12 hours ago
Buhari Congratulates Oba Of Lagos On His Birthday