Connect with us

Metro News

Bauchi Attack: Death Toll Rises As Witnesses Say Attackers Wore Army Uniforms

Published

on

The death toll in yesterday’s bombing at the red light district of Bayan Garin, Bauchi has risen to 13, just as eyewitnesses recounted their experiences, with some saying the attackers wore army uniforms.

Speaking on the bombing, yesterday, Bauchi State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Sani Malami, said 34 injured victims were taken to hospital in the late hours of Friday out of which 17 with minor injuries were treated and discharged.

“There are 17 others with varying degree of injuries who are still on admission, but we are hoping that many of them would be discharged today (yesterday), while a few victims will have to go to the theatre because of the seriousness of their injuries,” Malami told journalists. .

“Unfortunately, 13 people were, so far, confirmed dead. 10 bodies were brought to hospital yesterday (Friday) night and three more victims died in the hospital.
He explained that some victims rushed to clinics in Bauchi were transferred to the ATBUTH for proper attention.

According to him, Bauchi is a peaceful state but quite unfortunate that the bombing happened.

“We are really shattered and heartbroken that this incident happened in Bauchi and pray that it will not happen again,” the commissioner said.

A survivor, Ahmed Maidoki, told the News Agency of Nigeria that five persons in military uniform carried out the attack by detonating explosives and shooting at random.

“We were just sitting down, watching highlights of the ongoing FIFA world cup at the viewing centre located in between the two storey building of the hotel when five men dressed in military uniform strolled in,” he narrated.

“We thought they were security personnel who came to relax as well. I noticed they all positioned themselves at the four corners of the hall.

“The next thing I heard was an explosion, after which the arena was covered with thick smoke. Shivering, my friends and I sprawled on the ground.

“We were trying to get out when the five men started shooting sporadically at any one who tried to stand up, and in the process, killing many of the survivors of the blast,” he said.

Another witness, Usman Hassan, said he was just about to enter the hotel when the blast occurred and immediately ran away from the scene.

“As soon as I was a bit far from the scene, I heard gun-shots. Few minutes later, a white Toyota Hilux vehicle zoomed out of the hotel on high speed with men wearing army uniforms”, he said.

Confirming the blast, the state Commissioner of Police, Shehu, said efforts were being intensified to arrest other fleeing suspects.

“From the investigation conducted by the police, some suspected hoodlums were seen loitering around the brothel and the next thing that happened was an explosion”, he said.

“The area has been cordoned off and the scene secured by the Police Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit (EOD).

“The victims were rushed to Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Teaching Hospital (ATBU) for treatment and corpses evacuated to the mortuary”.

The police boss advised members of the public to always be security conscious by paying attention to persons and objects, particularly at motor parks, market places, schools, places of worship, shopping malls, eateries and hotels.

“The police have put in place strategies to fight insurgency in Bauchi State by intensifying surveillance, intelligence gathering and working in collaboration with sister security agents to secure lives and property.”

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Police Confirm Abduction Of Nasarawa APC Chairman

Published

on

Police Confirm Abduction Of Nasarawa APC Chairman

Police

The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Nasarawa State, Philip Shekwor, has been kidnapped by unknown gunmen.

According to reports, Shekwor was abducted on Saturday night at his residence along Dunamis church, Bukan Sidi in Lafia.

Also Read: Gunmen Attack Police Station In Ibadan; Kill Police Corporal

Confirming the incident, Police Commissioner Bola Longe said the unidentified gunmen in large number stormed the residence of the APC chairman in Lafia around 11 pm and took him away to an unknown destination.

According to him, security agencies had reacted swiftly by deploying personnel to different forest locations to ensure the safe release of the APC chieftain.

Continue Reading

Trending