Connect with us

Politics

Alleged N50bn Fraud: Jang Not Under Probe – Plateau Assembly

Published

on

jonah-jang1-465x300The Plateau House of Assembly says it is not probing Governor Jonah Jang over an alleged N50 billion scam as being peddled in some quarters.

In an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Jos on Friday, the Majority Leader, Mr. Dem Daniels (PDP-Riyom) said that the mere receipt of a petition against the governor over an alleged misconduct cannot be described as probe.

Daniels said that the petition, which was filed by the Plateau Patriotic Front (PPF), alleged gross misconduct against the governor.

He said that the assembly was only acting in accordance with its constitutional duties by receiving the petition which, he explained, had been committed to the Account and Petitions Committees for proper investigation.

The majority leader said that the petition sought explanation on how an alleged N50 billion SURE-P funds meant for the state was utilized since 2012.

Daniels said that the petition also alleged that N30 billion of the money was meant for the state government while N20 billion was meant for the local government councils in the state.

He said that the petition also accused the assembly of complicity for its alleged failure to investigate the disbursement of the funds.

Daniels, however, said that the state government, through a circular signed by the Permanent Secretary, General Services, Mr Izam Azi, directed ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) to obtain clear from the governor’s office before appearing before the assembly on the matter.

I am aware of the directive, it is the normal thing, it did not amount to being at loggerheads with the executive,” he said.

Meanwhile, Mr Yakubu Jang, a son to the state governor, had filed a suit at the State High Court, seeking an order restraining the assembly from investigating the allegations contained in the petition.

NAN learnt that although the court has yet to fix a date for the hearing of the suit, Gov. Jang had debunked the allegation at one of his public functions.

“If I see such an amount, the state will not remain this way, and they said that I embezzled N50 billion”, Jang had said in response to the petition.

Politics

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP

Published

on

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP

Muhammadu Buhari

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has blasted President Muhammadu Buhari over his nationwide broadcast over the ongoing #EndSARS protest rocking the country.

Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.

He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Also Read: President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech – Full text

Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.

The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria

Published

on

PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria

PDP

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the killing of peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate, Lagos.

This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.

Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.

Also Read: Shehu Sani Condemns Shooting Of #EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate

“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.

“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.

“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Published

on

Gov Yahaya Bello
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Governor Bello

The Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello has declared his intention to lead the #EndSARS protest against police brutality ongoing nationwide.

He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.

Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.

Also Read: Fayemi Names Members Of Judicial Panel On Human Rights Violations By Police

He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.

The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.

He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.

https://twitter.com/jeffreyetuss/status/1318273749565739011?s=19

Continue Reading

Trending