Connect with us

News Feed

Pit Bull Sentence To Life Imprisonment For Mauling Little Kid (PHOTOS & VIDEO)

Published

on

image

A judge ruled Tuesday that a pit bull that mauled a 4-year-old boy earlier this year will spend the
rest of its life in an animal shelter set up in an old jail by the sheriff for metropolitan Phoenix.
Phoenix Municipal Court Judge Deborah Griffith said the dog named Mickey will be housed in the no-kill shelter opened in 2000 by Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, an animal lover who
offered to take in the 4-year-old pit bull. Griffith had declared the dog vicious at a hearing a month ago but declined to have him euthanized after animal-rights advocates came to its
defense. Instead, she ordered Mickey to be neutered and defanged and gave the Lexus
Project, a New York-based animal-rights group and the dog’s trustee, 30 days to find a rehabilitation center or shelter to take him. The
judge said the dog could not be put up for adoption. The Feb. 20 attack left 4-year-old Kevin Vicente with a broken eye socket and jaw, and the boy has months, if not years, of reconstructive surgery ahead of him.
The case touched off a polarizing Internet debate on mercy, blame and animal violence, leading to
candlelight vigils and riling up thousands of animal lovers on social media who placed blame
with the dog’s owners and child’s baby sitter. Donations and gifts from around the world have
flowed in for Kevin since the dog bit the boy in the face.
Animal advocates say both the dog and boy are victims and a baby sitter watching the child was
negligent in letting him play near the animal. They also argued the owner was fostering aggression
by keeping the dog chained up.
The sheriff, who is known nationally for his immigration enforcement efforts and housing jail inmates in tents, testified that he was confident that Mickey would be housed at the shelter for
the rest of the dog’s life.
Arpaio also said he didn’t get involved in the case to get publicity.
Later in the day, the sheriff will testify at a deposition in a civil rights lawsuit that the U.S.
Justice Department filed against his office alleging racial profiling, retaliation against critics
and other accusations. Arpaio denies those claims.
At the dog’s hearing, the question was raised of what would become of the animal if Arpaio is no
longer sheriff.
“I expect to be the sheriff forever,” the 81-year-old sheriff quipped.
The judge pressed Arpaio on what would happen to the animals in his shelter if a future sheriff were to end the shelter program. Arpaio answered that any sheriff who would close such a program
wouldn’t get re-elected. A supporter of the dog, Veronica Lee, said Mickey will be able to enjoy more freedoms in Arpaio’s
shelter than at another county facility where he’s currently being held.
“Today, justice was served for Mickey,” she said.
Griffith also denied a request from a lawyer representing the dog to rescind her order that
Mickey be defanged.
Attorney John Schill said it would make more sense to give the $2,500 the procedure costs to
the injured child’s family. Schill said the defanging wouldn’t result in the dog losing his
canine teeth, but rather they would be cut down and capped to match the height of the other
teeth.
“Kevin’s injuries are so vast and so devastating that $2,500 is really just a drop in the bucket,”
Griffith said, adding that she doesn’t want the dog to harm another person. That’s when Sheriff Joe Arpaio stepped in.
If the name sounds familiar you probably know him for his intense views on illegal immigration
(he hates it) and his less than great treatment of inmates at his prisons. One of those prisons has
a “no-kill” animal shelter inside, and that’s where Mickey will be staying. Happy at the judge’s decision, Sheriff Arpaio tweeted:

image

Click HERE to Watch video

Posted from WordPress for Android

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

Thug attacks police station in Lagos, steals DPO’s uniform (Video)

Published

on

Thug attacks police station in Lagos, steals DPO’s uniform (Video)

Men of the Lagos Police Command have paraded a hoodlum who attacked and burnt a police station in the state, carting away the DPO’S uniform

 

The suspect was arrested while rocking the uniform of a DPO.

He was paraded before newsmen by the Lagos state police command today October 27.

Watch a video of him while being paraded along with others below:

Continue Reading

News Feed

Burial arrangements of killed #EndSARS protester, Anthony Unuode, announced

Published

on

Burial arrangements of killed #EndSARS protester, Anthony Unuode, announced

The burial poster of an endSARS protester, Anthony Unuode,  who was attacked and stabbed to death by hoodlums in Abuja, has been released by his family members.

Unuode, who joined other Nigerians to protest against police brutality in Kubwa area of Abuja, was attacked and killed by hoodlums who hijacked the peaceful protest.

 

He was rushed to the hospital where he later died.

He was 28 years old.

According to his obituary, Anthony who was 28 years, will be interred on October 30.

See his obituary below:

Continue Reading

News Feed

Army denies shooting #EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate

Published

on

Army denies shooting #EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate

 

The Nigerian Army has denied allegations that it shot and killed peaceful end SARS protesters at Lekki toll plaza on October 20.

The denial was disclosed in a statement released by the 81 Division of the Nigerian Army (NA)

The Acting Director Army Public Relations (ADPR), Major Osoba Olaniyi, however, confirmed the involvement of soldiers in restoring order in Lagos following the imposition of a curfew on the state by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

Read the statement below:

“The attention of Headquarters 81 Division Nigerian Army has been drawn to a viral video on social media in which it was alleged that civilian protesters were massacred by soldiers at Lekki Toll Plaza. This allegation is untrue, unfounded and aimed at causing anarchy in the country.

At no time did soldiers of the Nigerian Army open fire on any civilian. From the onset of the ENDSARS protest, there was no time personnel of 81 Division Nigerian Army Lagos were involved.

However, the decision to call in the military was taken by the Lagos State Government (LASG) after a 24- hour curfew was imposed.

This was as a result of the violence which led to several police stations being burnt, policemen killed, suspects in police custody released and weapons carted away.

The situation was fast degenerating into anarchy. It was at this point that LASG requested for the military to intervene in order to restore normalcy.

The intervention of the military followed all laid down procedures for Internal Security operations and all the soldiers involved acted within the confines of the Rules of Engagement (ROE) for Internal Security operations.

Finally, Headquarters 81 Division Nigerian Army reiterates Nigerian Army in the discharge of its constitutional responsibilities did not shoot at any civilian as there are glaring and convincing evidence to attest to this fact.

This allegation is the hand work of mischief makers who will stop at nothing to tarnish the image of the Nigerian Army. The general public is hereby enjoined to discountenance this allegation as there is no iota of truth therein.”

Continue Reading

Trending