Connect with us

Metro News

N25bn Required To Remove Abandoned Shipwreck – Lagos Govt.

Published

on

Lagos State Government has said that it requires about N25 billion to effectively remove over 200 abandoned ship wrecks and vessels along the state coastline and waterways.

Commissioner for Waterfront Infrastructure Development, Prince Adesegun Oniru disclosed this at the ministerial press briefing on activities of his ministry in the last one year, as well as marking the seventh anniversary in office of Governor Babatunde Fashola’s administration.

Oniru, lamented that wrecked ships, pose serious danger to navigation on the water ways as well as the health of residents, because of the toxic nature resulting from the decay of the wreckage.

According to him: “There are over 200 shipwrecks and abandoned vessels currently lying on the state’s coastline including lagoons,” adding that the vessels were responsible for some of the environmental issue, especially degradation of the coastlines.

He said: “There are also security concerns as these wrecks can serve as hideout for hoodlums to carry out their nefarious activities.

The commissioner stressed: “The removal of these shipwrecks and abandoned vessels lying on our coastline and waterways is not a small task and it will cost nothing less than N25 billion to effectively remove the wrecks from the state’s coastline.”

He said it was not the responsibility of the state government to cough out the required amount, lamenting that efforts to get the federal government to aid the protection of coastlines had yielded little or no result.

Oniru, however revealed that government is currently working on a law aimed at finding and prosecuting owners of abandoned vessel on its coastline.

He explained: “Our ministry is working with the Ministry of Justice to put legislation together. You cannot anchor a vessel out in the Atlantic and whenever there is a strong wind or surge and the anchor snaps and it’s at the mercy of the Atlantic, then they leave it there and disappear. When the legislation is put in place, this would be a thing of the past.

“Once the legislation is ready, it would be brought to the executive and once it is passed the bill will be passed to the House of Assembly to look at it and pass into law,” Oniru added.

Meanwhile, the state government has shut down and is currently prosecuting nine illegal sand dredging companies, just as 33 persons have also been arrested for violating the land dredging law in the state.

Oniru explained that the state in 2007 restructured sand dredging activities and outlawed indiscriminate dredging, saying; “and since then, anyone who wants to dredge must seek approval from the state government before dredging.”

He added “Part of the restructure was that the state government spelt out three categories to specify which aspect one intends to invest. And since then, we have issued about 100 permits for the three categories.”

Also speaking, Managing Director of the Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA), Mr. Yinka Marinho, said aside shipwrecks, logs could also trigger boat mishaps. [Vanguard]

Continue Reading
2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. HOW TO WOO A GIRL

    May 8, 2014 at 7:12 am

    For wetin na, nna won overhaul the whole ship wey dey for the Universe

  2. Muhammed Alhassan

    May 8, 2014 at 1:32 pm

    The total number of wrecks on the coastal line and the inland waters of lagos state are over 200 all of which are either constituting navigational obstructions or massive erosion to the environment. Some of these wrecks have been there for over 10 years. The damage is beyond description. An urgent step needs to be taking in order to prevent further detoriation of the areas sorounding these wrecks. In recent times accidents have occurred leading to lose of precious lives due to wrecks that are fully or partially submerged in the water ways. The step that needs to be taken includes identifying the wrecks and marking them. Wreck buoys can be floated very close to the wrecks to steer away commuter boats and ensure safety of the waterway users. This is of cause not a substitute to total removal of the casualties.
    Coming back to the cost of removal, from my experience as a marine salvage and ship breaking expert, I’m of the opinion that the honourably commissioner has under estimated the cost of these wreck removal. We have participated in a lot of wreck removal and ship breaking in Nigeria and have equally monitored and equally large number of similar operations going on around the globe. If we are permitted to make comparisons then we should be looking almost 3 times the cost that the commissioner is talking about or more.
    Justification – The Costa concordia was refloated at almost US 600M excluding disposal which is still being deliberated, Titan salvage spent US 24M to remove only one wreck which took a year to achieve, the list can go on and on. Amongst the ship wrecks in the coast there are ones that have almost been buried in silt, the difficulty of the removal is only known to a salvage master. and, we are talking 200 or more of these wrecks.
    I am wishing that the Federal government will declare a drastic measure to tackle this issue and to put place a policy that will ensure that any vessel that runs aground will be removed within the shortest possible time. Ship operators can be made to adequately cover their vessels with insurance and a trust fund can be established to help in handling emergencies in the marine industries.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

The potential for iGaming in Nigeria uncovered

Published

on

There is a growing positivity surrounding the Nigerian iGaming industry. As the nation breathes a collective sigh of relief following the announcement of the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA), it’s hoped that many burgeoning industries such as the world of iGaming can be allowed to flourish and bring much-needed tax revenues to the country.

Many analysts within the iGaming industry believe Nigeria has the potential to become Africa’s iGaming hub. Its domestic market is already forecast to be worth $2 billion, due largely to sports betting and the fascination with Nigerian soccer stars overseas like Odion Ighalo at Manchester United. Meanwhile, the domestic penetration of smartphones is also recognised, with some 83% of the population now owning a mobile device.

Nigeria was also a major focal point during this year’s SBC Digital Summit Africa, which was understandably conducted virtually earlier this month. Ahead of the summit, experts enrolled in the event were asked to vote on which African country offered the best foundations for iGaming operators to thrive. Nigeria outperformed every other nation, with 31% of all votes labelling Nigeria as the country with the highest potential to make a real
success of its domestic iGaming sector.

Even South Africa, which has a well-established domestic iGaming market, ranked second with just 28% of the vote. Prospective Nigerian iGaming operators should certainly take a leaf out of the book of South African iGaming brands, many of which have cultivated a strong customer base through the use of incentives and sign-up bonuses. The vast majority of offers available at platforms like Casinos.co.za, direct gamers to the safest and most reputable
platforms.

One of the main reasons that industry experts believe in Nigeria’s iGaming potential is that it already boasts an engaged target demographic. Many of its young adults are already betting on sports like soccer and boxing, and there is a feeling that introducing them to casino gaming verticals would not be too difficult a stretch. Marry that with a growing number of smartphone users, which is predicted to reach over 140 million people by 2025, and you can
see the potential for iGaming apps and web applications to provide immersive, secure gaming
on the go.

Presently, the country has three separate bodies responsible for licensing online betting activities – the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC), the Special Control Unit against Money Laundering (SCUML) and the National Office for Technology Acquisition and Promotion (NOTAP). At the time of writing, online betting at a domestic Nigerian site is strictly prohibited by law. Loopholes regarding offshore operators make it possible for
Nigerians to play elsewhere, but it seems somewhat short-sighted for the Nigerian government to steer clear of creating its own regulated, revenue-making iGaming industry.

In a nation of substantial population, supporters of developing a domestic iGaming industry in Nigeria believe that the most would be a positive step, creating new career opportunities for everyday people. This could be in customer support, game development or any other facet of an iGaming operator. All the while, generating tax revenues for the Nigerian government and helping to breathe new life into the domestic economy.

There is a general feeling that Nigeria’s gaming industries tend to follow the same path as South Africa’s. The SBC Digital Summit Africa revealed that there has been a “seismic shift” from sports betting markets to casino games in the last eight months, including live dealer tables, that’s according to Sean Coleman, CEO of the South Africa Bookmakers Association.

Live dealer games seemingly “appeal to millennials” across South Africa. Dean Finder, CEO of Evolution Services SA believes the fact that live dealer games are “not gender biased” is an opportunity to reach out to female players, which are an often “unserved market” across Africa.

For these trends to follow suit in Nigeria, operators will need to build further trust in their
games and regulatory measures to curry favour with the country’s legislature.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Femi Otedola Reacts To Lekki Tollgate Shooting

Published

on

Femi Otedola Finally Reacts To Lekki Tollgate Shooting
Femi Otedola

Femi Otedola

Nigerian businessman, Femi Otedola has finally reacted to the shooting that took place at Lekki Tollgate, Lagos on Tuesday.

Information Nigeria recalls men dressed in military wears opened fire on unarmed #EndSARS protesters, who convened at the area.

Otedola took to his Instagram page on Sunday to commiserate with the families of those who lost their lives in the unfortunate incident.

Sharing a photo of the Nigerian flag, he wrote;

“The horrors that have been unfolding in our country have left me filled with sadness. I deeply commiserate with those who have lost their loved ones and as a father, I share the sentiment of my three daughters who protested in Lagos and London. As a young boy of 16, I participated in the ‘Ali Must Go Protest’ of 1978, so I understand the determination of our youths who rightly want our country to be better. We must all do our part to make Nigeria great! I will continue to do my own quota in providing for those who are most in need of support in our country in these tough times .…F.Ote💲”

Read Also: Femi Otedola Spotted Dancing With His Children (Video)

See his post below:

Otedola’s post

Otedola’s post

Continue Reading

Metro News

“Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet, He Was Stabbed By Thugs” – Brother Claims

Published

on

“Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet, He Was Stabbed By Thugs” - Brother Claims
Oke

Oke

Information Nigeria recalls a graphics designer identified as Oke, was killed hours after tweeting “Nigeria will not kill me” on Wednesday.

It was reported that the young man had passed away after he was hit by a stray bullet.

The deceased’s younger brother, Daniel has come out to clear the air regarding the circumstances leading to his death.

Daniel revealed his brother was stabbed on the neck by thugs who infiltrated and ransacked their home.

In his words;

Good day, My name is Obi-Enadhuze Daniel younger brother of the now deceased Okechukwu Obi-Enadhuze @O_Okee . I, my brother and mother lived at makinde police barracks, mafoluku, Oshodi, Lagos State.

Today at about 11 o’clock in the morning the police station at makinde was attacked by thugs who wanted to destroy the station, I my mom and brother were holed up in our house.

 The attack went on for hours before the thugs eventually breached the police and proceeded to set the station on fire, after accomplishing this they set their sights to the barracks and began the assault, they proceeded to destroy every car in the barracks, my mom’s 2 cars where destroyed and set on fire and then they infiltrated our house by breaking the door they then proceeded to ransack the house and carted away with everything we own. 

 my brother on trying to get them to take everything but spare us was pushed to my mom’s room and stabbed on the neck, the attacker then proceeded to attack me but missed my neck but got my chin instead, after this my mom and I carried my brothers body to the entrance of the station soliciting for help from the thugs still ravaging the barracks, we were finally able to put him in a wheelbarrow and took him to a hospital where he was rejected because “he was already dead” unfazed we moved him to another hospital where he met the same treatment this was where he bled his last drops of blood and died, his body has now been moved to a morgue

we have lost every single thing we own, as our house was completely ransacked and set on fire the only thing left is my brothers phone and at about 8 o’clock this evening the barracks was still on fire but Okechukwu has paid with the ultimate price

I and my mother are homeless with nothing now but we’re safe for now, we thank everyone that has been able to reach out to us, and were able to share consoling words with us in these trying times, God bless you

While we were holed up in the house the three of us said these words together and we say it again ” THREE OF US ARE HERE, THREE OF US ARE TOGETHER, THREE OF US ARE SAFE”

Let it be known that my brother @O_Okee  was NOT killed by a police bullet but died a hero protecting my mother and I.

If you see this please retweet, let the world know how Okechukwu died. He was NOT killed by a police bullet but thugs in his home!”

Read Also: RIP Oke: Barely 3hours After Tweeting “Nigeria Will Not End Me” #EndSARS Protester Dies From Gunshot

See his post below:

Continue Reading

Trending